Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Apple Watch Battery Draining suddenly after Software Update

My iPhone updated to IOS 17.4.1 last night and all of a sudden my Apple Watch is losing charge today after barely 4hours. I haven’t used it any differently to usual, haven’t actually updated the watch at all but am at a loss on what to do now. I’d love to roll back the IOS update if that’s possible and the culprit but surely Apple has some accountability to sort out the consequences of their software updates? All and any help is appreciated

Apple Watch Series 7, watchOS 10

Posted on Apr 11, 2024 7:26 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 12, 2024 3:41 AM

Same issue. Watch was 100% at 7am, completely dead by 11.30am. Was chatting to Apple support to no avail. I explained it was only occurring after the update. Was told there was nothing wrong and asked was I suggesting there was a correlation between the update and the issue.

169 replies

Apr 12, 2024 12:27 PM in response to VanNutter

** Work Around Suggestion **

Same issues here. First, watch battery dying w/in several hours, then software update not completing (stuck Preparing). All started today, after my phone updated last night. Checked the Battery on my watch and it shot to 100% the moment 17.4.1 installed on my phone. The issues are 100% related to the update.

First I powered off both devices entirely for 5 minutes to clear any connections & cache. Then I powered them both back on. I temporarily disabled bluetooth on my Phone to stop any communications between the two. I then temporarily disabled the "Auto" software update from the phone: Open the Watch App > General > Software Update > Automatic Updates > toggle OFF. Next I deleted the Update from my Watch - On Apple Watch, go to Settings > General Storage > scroll down and touch watchOS 10.4 > Delete. After this, bluetooth on the phone can be enabled again. The update should not auto-anything since that's been disabled. The two won't be on the same OS build but at least the watch stays charged for more than a few hours!

My watch is charging normally again and the phone should not update it automatically, so I'm going to wait a week or two and try again. While isn't a fix, it's a relevant work around to get someone through a 10K this weekend. If the issue doesn't resolve itself in a week or two, give it a few more weeks and an entirely different update will be released.

Apr 12, 2024 4:30 AM in response to VanNutter

Well thanks for the solidarity, everyone. I wear my watch all day and night with a quick charge here and there with no issue. I was alerted early evening it needed to be charged so got it back up to 100% before bed because I use it as my alarm. Well you can imagine my surprise when I woke up an hour late to a dead watch 6 hours later. Got it charged again this morning to 100 and it’s already down 15% in an hour!!

I also recently got the iOS update. Watch update is stuck on “preparing”

what gives??

Apr 12, 2024 6:55 AM in response to FlexSF

We would update our watches if we could!!

My watch was fully charged overnight, less than 10% after 4 hours wear this morning, recharged to about 75% and back to below 10% less than 2 hours later. iPhone 15 updated to iOS 17.4.1 overnight. Tried to update Apple Watch SE to iOS 10.4 and it is stuck at 60%.

Come on Apple - sort it out!

Apr 12, 2024 6:28 AM in response to VanNutter

I have exactly the same issue. Upgraded my phone to 17.4.1 last night. Took my Apple watch off charge this morning as usual. By 2pm watch was on 10% battery. I haven’t used the watch at all, hardly even checked the time. It usually lasts until the following morning. Definitely a compatibility issue between phone IOS 17.4.1 and the watch.

Tried to upgrade Apple Watch but it’s stuck in Preparing.

Apple, what do I do?

Apr 12, 2024 12:04 PM in response to VanNutter

I’m in exactly the position with Apple Watch SE. Charged yesterday to 100% and dead by morning.

Recharged this morning and dead by 1pm. Recharged again and 5% by 4pm, when not in use and I was stationary. Spoke to Apple by message to be told my battery is fine and to not charge it to 100%.

I can’t update the watch, it’s been stuck on preparing for 2 days. I tried deleting the update and re-downloaded and still nothing.

Apple support were rubbish and I booked an appointment at the Genius Bar but sounds like I’m not alone!

they need to fix this. It’s ridiculous.

Apple Watch Battery Draining suddenly after Software Update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.