Inexplicable Internet Data usage; only clue may be in stored Data but that's opaque.

Recently about 33GB of data got used on my iMac; Auto updates were all turned off (except for System/security - whatever that is; it's under Apps. as is OS updates in System Settings); no smart devices in use; no Zoom etc. running constantly and the WiFi wasn't hacked. There are two clues; I had a second account and changed something(s) re sharing and insofar as I can find any meaning in the numbers my SSD seems to have a lot more data taken up then I have installed/saved. I gather it's largely impossible to comprehend what is stored on a device in any detail but I'd like to get to the bottom of this; I've had many bizarre experiences with computers but mysterious data usage is a new one. I have a limited Data plan and didn't think to check Activity Monitor at the time.

Posted on Apr 13, 2024 6:41 AM

2 replies

Apr 14, 2024 2:31 AM in response to Old Toad

Thank you for the response; I don't use Time machine but the "used" Data numbers are around double what I would have anticipated - but then about 40 GB is listed under Macintosh Data as "purgeable"; I vaguely gather that that will be removed if I leave the device in some kind of active sleep mode for long enough; a quick look around confirmed what I'd noted earlier i.e. that the numbers seem to be contradictory depending on where you look; just one example- Applications records about 14GB but a quick addition of all the recorded sizes comes to around 5GB; Library records Zero data used in it's component files so it looks like every folder needs to be opened to check "Get info".

Inexplicable Internet Data usage; only clue may be in stored Data but that's opaque.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.