Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

I want to connect an SSD and a microphone to my iPhone at the same time

I want to connect an SSD and a microphone at the same time to my iPhone. I have bought many cables and devices and none seem to work. Maybe it is impossible. Apple suggested a rather expensive Belkin device and it didn't work either. Why doesn't anyone at Apple even know if it is possible?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone 15 Pro Max, iOS 17

Posted on Apr 15, 2024 3:14 AM

5 replies

Apr 15, 2024 6:20 AM in response to chenderson22

What happened when you tried exactly?

What makes you think its not working?

What cables and devices have you tried?

How have you tried to connect it?

It should be perfectly possible to do. I just connected an SSD and a pair of USB headphones with a microphone to my iPhone 15 Pro Max, and it worked perfectly. I used the USB hub listed below:

click here ➜ NOVB|TECH 7 in 1 USB-C Hub - Amazon.com

Apr 15, 2024 9:28 AM in response to Phil0124

The ssd works, but usually the Iphone gives an error stating the connection is too slow. I believe that happens with the current version of Iphone and IOS, but it still is working. However, the microphone never works unless it is the only device connected to the Iphone. I used this: Belkin F7U081btWH - USB-C-Audio- und Ladeadapter, that was recommended by Apple. I also tried several hubs and always the ssd will work, but not the microphone.

Apr 15, 2024 12:27 PM in response to Phil0124

I use the Blackmagic video app. It has an indicator for microphone input levels. I tap in the microphone and it barely picks anything up, but tap on the phone and it is loud - indicating the internal microphones are the ones being used. When I plug in the microphone alone, the phone switches to it. Besides that, the microphone has a light on it to indicate it is being used. When plugged in alone the light comes on, but when plugged in with anything else also plugged in, the light does not come on.

In any case, the audio gets recorded, because nothing cuts off all microphone input - it just defaults to the phone's microphones if the external microphone is not detected. Apple has some unusual circuits in the Iphone and it requires the use of certain cables, etc. For example: using a small extender in the usb c plug will always disable use of the microphone. If a longer usb c cable, especially if made by Apple, will usually activate the microphone. Like I said, even the Apple staff doesn't seem to have a good understanding of how this works.

I want to connect an SSD and a microphone to my iPhone at the same time

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.