How can I reduce container size for Bootcamp partition on Monterey?

I am trying to create a partition for Bootcamp. When using the disk utility I see that the entire disk space is taken up by one container with the size of 250,79 Gb, whilst only 85GB is in use. How can I reduce the size of this container to allow space for a 50Gb partition. My computer still runs with Monterey.

Below is the message on my screen:

This container has 85,82 GB used space.

Its minimum size is 250,79 GB. Snapshot tidemarks can raise the minimum size above the used size.

This container can’t be split because the resulting containers would be too small.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPad Air 2, iPadOS 14

Posted on Apr 15, 2024 9:02 AM

Similar questions

3 replies

Apr 16, 2024 6:41 PM in response to JPSGoey

Storage on APFS volumes is complicated. Just because only 85GB is in use, does not mean you actually have 165GB of Free storage space. Some storage may still be in use in the form of APFS snapshots, usually associated with backups.

I don't use Windows Bootcamp, but I seem to recall that it required a minimum size for the Windows Bootcamp partition which may need to be over 60GB in size. Your macOS partition (aka Container) must also always have at least 20GB+ of Free storage space at all times (perhaps even more depending on the workload).

As far as macOS storage & storage terminology....see my other post here:

macOS Storage & Storage Terminology -- hwtech - Apple Community

Apr 15, 2024 9:01 PM in response to JPSGoey

Use Bootcamp Assistant to create the Windows partition. If you ever decide to remove Windows, then make sure to use Bootcamp Assistant again to remove Windows.

Before doing anything, make sure to have a good backup since modifying partitions is always a risky endeavor with a potential of losing access to your data.

How can I reduce container size for Bootcamp partition on Monterey?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.