Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

MacBook won't recognise External HD

I have a MacBook Pro with High Sierra 10.13.6 which I believe should recognise and let me read only the files on my external HDD that was created on my old Windows XP pc. However it is not recognising it at all. The USB port is OK as it recognises and opens my Mac formatted external SSD and a USB stick. Should my MacBook see my HDD or have I been misinformed or is there a particular procedure I need to follow. Many thanks

[Re-Titled By Moderator]

MacBook Pro 13″, 10.13

Posted on Apr 15, 2024 10:41 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 18, 2024 3:16 PM

OWC makes excellent external drive enclosures. I have had many over the years, all have worked perfectly with all of my Macs.

It's a good idea to have an external drive for backups.

10 replies

Apr 16, 2024 11:39 AM in response to jefffrommillom

The most likely 'problem' is the generic caddy and its USB interface, although it may be the drive itself. Even though it may work on one Windows pc, that does not mean it meets the (ahem ... stricter) requirements of macOS. Also, the Seagate 7200.10, while it was a good drive in its time, it is very old, discontinued around 2009; and it had a known firmware bug and caused a lot of complaints among Mac users. Also, the fact that your Win7 PC also doesn't recognize the drive is an indicator the problem is with the drive and/or enclosure, not your Mac or PC.

It *does* have a partition, even if only one, that could be either Master Boot Record or GUID - which one would have to be verified. Macs can read NTFS formatted drives but if your drive isn't working (for whatever reason), it may not be recognized.

Apr 15, 2024 11:28 PM in response to HWTech

The make and model of the 3.5" HDD are Seagate Barracuda 7200.10. It does not have partitions and I presume it was formatted as NTFS by the Windows XP O.S. when it was installed. I am using it with a generic caddy with a plug in P.S. and know it is working as my local computer shop checked it for me ( with what I am do not know ) and could see that it contained the XP O.S. and other files. I have also tried it on a Windows 7 laptop which would also not recognise it. The old PC would not boot up because, I suspect, of a mother board fault. If I cannot get to be able to read it on my MacBook I will see if they can transfer the files onto a USB stick that has been formatted to suit both systems but would prefer to be able to open it with my MacBook if possible

Apr 18, 2024 12:46 PM in response to HWTech

It seems that you were both correct in that it is the caddy that is at fault. My local guy connected the hard drive direct to his motherboard with a SATA cable to prove the HDD was OK. Given what you say about Macs being picky about caddies I guess that means that there is no guarantee it will work even with one of the type you recommended. It is not an issue now as he transferred the data to a USB stick for me and I have retrieved the info I needed but there seems little point in me laying out more money for a caddy that may not work just to have an extra external hard drive. Is my thinking correct please. Thanks

MacBook won't recognise External HD

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.