Impossible to pair HomePod mini as default tv speaker Apple TV

apple tv airplay error: unable to connect to HomePod. You can switch to TV speakers in Settings

after using my paired HomePods as sole audio source for my Apple TV for quite some time, today my apple tv reports "unable to connect to HomePod. You can switch to TV speakers in Settings" error.

during the hour or so of troubleshooting, another error showed up at least once as well: "Apple TV couldn't make HomePod the default Audio Output. Try connecting your Apple TV and HomePod speakers to the same wireless access point, or enable IP aliasing on your router".

trouble shooting attempts:

-Reset the HomePods

-reset the HomePods

-Reset the apple tv 4K

-Reset my wifi router (Xiaomi)

reset my iPad

reset my iPhone

« The two HomePod mini and the Apple TV are set in the same room on home app »

Also I tried to pair my HomePod Apple TV iPad iPhone … to 5ghz wifi band, didn’t work so I tried on the 2ghz, same story didn’t work.

i tried to disable « private wifi networks on my iPhone and iPad » Setting -> Wi-Fi Name (i) -> Private Wi-Fi Address OFF , also didn’t work.

my new IPad Pro, iphone, can stream to the HomePod pair with no problems.

I also tried to update to iOS 17.5 beta and tvOS 17.5, didn’t work.

I can only use the two HomePod with AirPlay. All those problem started with the HomePod os 17.4 update.

thoughts? Any solution ? They worked fine since 1 year.

Apple TV 4K, tvOS 17

Posted on Apr 15, 2024 11:19 AM

Similar questions

2 replies

Impossible to pair HomePod mini as default tv speaker Apple TV

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.