Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Sluggish file transfer to Apple Time Capsule but only from one of my computers!

So, I'm using some dated technology, I know... but things have been stable for a very long time ;)

I'm often transferring files from a G5 running 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard?) to my Time Capsule to access them from my other computers... and suddenly the transfer process is extremely slow. Like it may take anywhere from 2 - 5 min to transfer a 4 Mb file. I'm connected to my home LAN via ethernet to do this. This is NOT the case with my MBP or Mac Pro... file transfer acts as I'd expect it to... pretty zippy. I've restarted everything multiple times without any change in behavior.

So what is going on with my G5 all of the sudden? A corrupted preference file? I can access the drive of the Time Capsule just fine... peruse the files on it with no problem... it's only when transferring files to the TC that there's an issue.

Posted on Apr 15, 2024 12:47 PM

Similar questions

6 replies

Apr 16, 2024 10:09 AM in response to Bob Timmons

Thx, Bob...

It's interesting... when I try to Verify Backups on the G5 I get the message that the process "couldn't be done because the backup disk is missing"... yet the disk is active on the desktop... and navigateable.

On the Laptop running Mojave, the Option to Verify is greyed out even though the disk is mounted...

And on the MacPro running Monterey, I'm not seeing that option at all.

Does that tell you anything useful?

Apr 16, 2024 10:48 AM in response to skwergs

On the G5......

Click on the Time Machine "clock" icon at the top of the screen

Click on Open Time Machine Preferences

Right-Click on the name of Backup Disk

Click on Stop Using the disk for Backup and confirm if asked

Restart the G5

Click on the Time Machine "clock" icon at the top of the screen

Click on Open Time Machine Preferences

Click on Add or Remove Disk

Select the name of the backup disk and click Use Disk

Check to see if a backup will run

If it does, go back to the previous set of instructions to Verify Disk to see if the operation will be able to correct current disk errors, which is causing the slow backups.

Apr 16, 2024 10:52 AM in response to Bob Timmons

Bob... your query made me do a deeper dive and I immediately discovered that I had less than a gig of space left on the disk! Deleting some files opened up room and consequently I'm now able to transfer from the G5 without issue. A simple fix! Thank you for the inspiration ;)

I'm surmising then, that the issue has to do with how the older OS handles available space on the disk... ?

Would I need a sizable amount of avail disk space on the TC in order to complete the verification process?

Cheers!

Apr 16, 2024 12:24 PM in response to skwergs

I'm surmising then, that the issue has to do with how the older OS handles available space on the disk... ?

Things will be equally slow with newer operating systems when the backup disk is close to full and Time Machine is trying to delete enough older files to make room for newer files.

On newer operating systems, there is no way to delete older files manually using the Time Machine interface like there is in Snow Leopard, so you will have to plan accordingly when other backups are close to being full. Sometimes, Time Machine cannot delete enough older files to make room for a newer backup and then you are stuck.

Apr 16, 2024 12:31 PM in response to Bob Timmons

Thx much, Bob... really appreciate your time and insight!

I'll add that I use the hard disk in the TC not only for backup via TM... but also as a temporary storage medium to transfer files to and from the various other computers on my LAN... which was the issue initially with just the G5... as I'm not able to connect to the newer machines directly via file sharing... the G5 won't accept any connection login to the other computers... but the others can easily connect to the G5... unless I'm missing something ;)

Cheers!

RB

Sluggish file transfer to Apple Time Capsule but only from one of my computers!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.