Channel 4 content not playing on Safari on MacBook or iPhone

Hi - I have been viewing programmes on channel4.com for many years but in the last 2 weeks, after I sign in and select the programme, it does not play and I have only a blank screen, no picture or sound. This happens both on my Macbook (Mac OS Catalina 10.15.7, Safari 15.6.1 ) and on my iPhone 12 ( Software version 15.7.1). Content on other sites playing fine e.g. BBC, Amazon, Youtube etc. Channel4 help searched to no avail.

Posted on Apr 16, 2024 10:40 AM

Similar questions

7 replies

Apr 18, 2024 2:33 AM in response to WhisperingWempe

Thanks for response. Not sure what you mean re ‘successfully isolated’? Already checked channel4 website- not very helpful - indicates anything 12 or above on iPhone should work fine and for MacBook/laptop lists browsers supported including Safari and quotes (latest version) for each - no way every user will have latest version of their browser installed. Mailed channel4 also, no reply yet but still mystified as to why this has stopped working - the macOS Catalina I use hasn’t been officially supported by Apple for a long time, can’t see that c4 would suddenly not allow playing based on that and iPhone software version is supported and relatively recent so that should still work. Any further thoughts appreciated.

Apr 21, 2024 4:00 AM in response to AnnikaSmash

Hi - Channel4 replied, asked me to try clearing temporary internet files, clear cache, check for content blocking. I had already tried all this. At their request now supplied all details of macOS version, safari version etc, hope they can solve if no other ideas on here. Interesting Annikasmash that it works fine on your iPad - is that more up to date than your MacBook ref os / safari etc? Can’t however believe that c4 would suddenly prevent viewing based on a particular macOS or Safari version whilst other avenues like bbc and Amazon are unaffected…

Apr 28, 2024 4:59 AM in response to Chester_10

Hi - following some conflicting dialogue with Channel4, they have now advised that my Mac running Catalina 10.15.7 is no longer supported by them.

They have also said I can’t watch on iPhone without downloading their app, despite being able to via Safari until recently.

So guess that brings this thread to a close - if you are using Catalina 10.15.7 on a Mac or earlier you can no longer watch Channel4 unless upgrading the OS ( I can’t I have MacBook mid 2012) or until buying a new Mac.

Channel 4 content not playing on Safari on MacBook or iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.