HBO Max.com not streaming on Safari on my brand new Mac Studio M2 Max

MAX.com will not play on Safari on my new Mac Studio M2 Max

i can stream on my MBP M1, my wife's MacAir, iPad Pro & Apple TV. it just won't stream on Safari on my new Studio. it goes to an error page with a long 36 character hash which (of course) won't let you copy & paste. i used my iPhone to grab the hash & pasted it into notepad. then sent it to Max.com's empty cache, empty history, restart browser, restart router, turn wifi ooff then on again.....when i switch to Chrome it plays fine. sure i can just switch over & play on Chrome, but i hate chrome. so many tracking pixels & cookies in Chrome that i avoid using it when i can.

last year there was a DRM issue with HBO & Safari that they said was fixed. i'm wondering if it's related to my M2 chip since it's the only computer browser that can't access play.max.com without erroring. it plays the trailers, but craps out on playing the actual movies.

And yes, i set the settings for play.max.com :

• ALLOW Autoplay
  • OFF to content Blockers
  • ALLOW Popup Windows

[Edited by Moderator] 

Mac Studio

Posted on Aug 3, 2023 6:13 PM

Similar questions

5 replies

Aug 3, 2023 9:23 PM in response to DancesWithWoofs

Apple Studio (M2 Max) with Studio Display

gigabit ethernet connection

all sites are: ALLOW ALL Autoplay, UNCHECK contentBlocker, & ALLOW Popup

Private Replay is OFF // No VPN

Errors on Safari : Possibly because the Apple Studio Monitor is NOT HDCP 2.2 compliant for streaming 1080p!!

Works on Chrome ( possibly because streaming is limited to 720p on Chrome).

HBO Max : Error code 36 character hash

Disney+ : displays a black screen. Errors out so no sound either

Nextflix : Error says my brand new Studio Display isn't HDCP compliant

Amazon Prime Video : Sound, but no video

so much for streaming movies in full res on my new $4000 system!

Aug 3, 2023 9:40 PM in response to DancesWithWoofs

OK ... figured out the problem

i am using an Apple Cinema Display as the 2nd display. the streaming sites don't like the DVI to USB-C adapter. i unplugged it & now the streaming on Safari works.

i need to go from DVI to HDMI in order to avoid the HDCP compliant check. will know more once i can find the proper adapters. need to find a DVI to HDMI (normal) in order to see if it works. the Apple Studio will only take a USB-C or HDMI (normal) output to display.

Aug 26, 2023 5:39 PM in response to DancesWithWoofs

Hello All,

If anyone is still having this issue, I have found a fix. Go to Display Settings, and toggle the Preset button from Apple Display (P3-600nits), to either HDTV Video or one of the other presets, and then toggle BACK to the Apple Display (P3-600nits) preset. Do this while playing a video in the MAX app, and the video should play correctly. This worked in my case, and hopefully it will for you too! Cheers!

HBO Max.com not streaming on Safari on my brand new Mac Studio M2 Max

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.