Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Find my Ipad

I have two iPads and two iPhones and when I try to find my iPad (that I’m not using) my I phone rings, not my iPad. What is wrong?

iPhone 13, iOS 16

Posted on Apr 16, 2024 7:22 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 17, 2024 7:15 AM

Perhaps an obvious thing to check - but devices listed in the Find My App are identified by the device Name...

The device Name is user configurable. Where devices have similar or the same name, it is easy to misidentify devices that appear in the Find My App - or elsewhere in device settings.

To resolve this problem, ensure that each of your iPad and iPhone devices have a unique name to identify them:

Settings > General > About > Name - set a unique name as required

After changing the device name, a forced-restart of the device is recommended:

Force restart iPad - Apple Support

Force restart iPhone - Apple Support

After restart, your devices should be easy to identify in the Find My App. If your difficulty remains, something very odd is occuring.

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 17, 2024 7:15 AM in response to iPhoneandwatch

Perhaps an obvious thing to check - but devices listed in the Find My App are identified by the device Name...

The device Name is user configurable. Where devices have similar or the same name, it is easy to misidentify devices that appear in the Find My App - or elsewhere in device settings.

To resolve this problem, ensure that each of your iPad and iPhone devices have a unique name to identify them:

Settings > General > About > Name - set a unique name as required

After changing the device name, a forced-restart of the device is recommended:

Force restart iPad - Apple Support

Force restart iPhone - Apple Support

After restart, your devices should be easy to identify in the Find My App. If your difficulty remains, something very odd is occuring.

Find my Ipad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.