Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

difference between Titles and Captions in Photos

Just trying to figure out what each kind means and how it is used in Photos

Mac mini, macOS 14.4

Posted on Apr 17, 2024 8:16 AM

7 replies

Apr 17, 2024 8:57 AM in response to Prairie Falcon

The titles and captions can both been used to add descriptions to a photo.

But there is difference on how they are used on a Mac and on mobile devices.

Are you also using Photos on an iPad or iPhone? Are you syncing the devices with iCloud Photos?

• On your Mac:
    • Titles: You can see the titles below the thumbnails of your photos and videos, when you are viewing them in the correct aspect ratio, not tiled in a square grid, see: How to view the titles or filenames below the thumbnails in Photos 5.0 - Apple Community . The titles are the perfect place to add short descriptions to the photo, that you want to see, when you are viewing the thumbnails.
    • Captions: On a Mac we can only see the captions, when we open the Info for a photo. But we can put there a longer, detailed text.
    • Both the titles and captions are synced with iCloud Photos between our devices and we can see them on any synced Mac. And both the title and the caption will be saved in the IPTC metadata of the photo, when we export a version of the photo.
  • On the iOS devices: On our iPhone or iPad we can only add captions, not titles. When we add a caption on an iPhone, we can see it in the captions field on the Mac, when we sync the library with iCloud.

If you are using iCloud Photos and sync your devices with iCloud, use the Captions field to add the descriptions that you want to see on all your devices. I am also adding a short title into the title field, because I want to see them below the thumbnails on my Mac.

Apr 17, 2024 10:49 AM in response to Prairie Falcon

The handling of filenames has changed considerable over the years in Photos for Mac.

The more recent versions of Photos, starting with Photos 5 on Catalina, are no longer using the original filenames internally. When we import photos or videos to Photos, the media will be renamed internally with unique filenames, more details here: How Photos 5.0 on Catalina Manages original Files and Filenames .

However, Photos is remembering the original filenames and showing it to us in the Info. The original filename is also used as a default title and shown below the thumbnails, as long as we do not assign a title to the photo or video. when we sort photos by the titles, Photos will ignore the filenames and sort only by the assigned titles. This has been different in the older system versions unto Photos 4 on Mojave. Sorting Albums by Title in Photos - Changes in Photos 5.0 on Catalina

Apr 18, 2024 12:21 PM in response to Prairie Falcon

Prairie Falcon wrote: Apple needs to have some grouchy old Senior Citizens who are empowered to ask "dumb" questions about design things.

Many of the question answerers are indeed "grouchy old Senior Citizens." Thank you for your consideration.

I use Photos Workbench ($30) to add and manipulate titles. I use titles like "2024 04 18 - 014 - Grand Canyon" with an index number like 014 to indicate the order. If, for story reasons, I want picture 17 to appear before 014, then I just change the numbers and sort by title on my Mac.

I copy a generic version of the title, like "2024 04 18 - Grand Canyon" into the caption field, because that's what shows on the iPhone. I may add details to each caption, like "2024 04 18 - 014 - Grand Canyon - Bright Angel Trail" that will show in the Info windows for all the devices. I don't want the Title to have extra info because it won't fit well in the thumbnail view on the Mac.

You can use an option-return to add a new line in the caption window on the Mac, but the results are not dependable on phones. Captions can be very long, but they can be awkward to view.

difference between Titles and Captions in Photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.