Unable to add contacts to a newly made group in Contacts

I was able to add 3 names from my 'all contacts' list to the 'new group' and then it no longer will allow me to add any more! I see that other people have had this same problem and no one has answered with a viable solution! Can anyone help with this super annoying issue?

MacBook Pro (M1, 2020)

Posted on Apr 17, 2024 10:19 AM

7 replies

Apr 17, 2024 11:55 AM in response to Hansfords

Start with this if M1, M2, or M3 Mac...

On your Mac, choose Apple menu  > Shut Down.

Wait for your Mac to shut down completely. A Mac is completely shut down when the screen is black and any lights (including in the Touch Bar) are off.

Press and hold the power button on your Mac until “Loading startup options” appears.

Select a volume.

Press and hold the Shift key, then click Continue in Safe Mode.

The computer restarts automatically. When the login window appears, you should see “Safe Boot” in the menu bar.

Does the problem occur in Safe Mode? 

Restart normally.

Apr 18, 2024 8:07 AM in response to Hansfords

Hansfords wrote:

That's pretty complicated and if I have to use "Safe Mode" to add contacts to a newly created group, then the software from Apple is mal-functioning!

Safe Mode is a troubleshooting tool, not a long-term solution. Whether or not the function works when the computer is in Safe Mode provides information that will inform the direction troubleshooting should take.

And, sometimes, just booting into Safe Mode, then rebooting fixes things.

Apr 18, 2024 9:00 AM in response to Hansfords

Hansfords wrote:

I tried doing the Safe Mode but there wasn't an option to choose a volume - it just restarted. I held the shift down when it restarted but I had to type in my password which released the shift key and it just restarted as normal. Unable to restart in safe mode!

Make sure you're not trying to restart into Safe Mode. You need to start with the computer completely off.

Unable to add contacts to a newly made group in Contacts

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.