Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Final Cut Pro XML Import Error Code

I am trying to import an xml from a coworker. I am getting this error code: The media file cannot be imported. An offline clip was not created because of insufficient data. 

We have checked that we have all source files, as well as the same version of Final Cut Pro X. I am not finding a lot of help anywhre else, any advice would be greatly appreciated!

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 14.2

Posted on Apr 17, 2024 1:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 17, 2024 4:29 PM

My guess is that it's related to "calf vigor draft3.pdf"

PDFs are not listed as officially supported. Media formats supported in Final Cut Pro for Mac - Apple Support

I've used PDFs in the past but don't think I've ever exported an XML with one.

You could duplicate the project, remove the PDF and export that as a test.

If that's the problem you could use pngs of the PDF pages instead. Looks like "calf vigor draft3.pdf" is the only pdf referenced so it might not be too difficult to replace.

EDIT: I removed the references to the PDF in the XML and it imported.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 17, 2024 4:29 PM in response to SarahWray99

My guess is that it's related to "calf vigor draft3.pdf"

PDFs are not listed as officially supported. Media formats supported in Final Cut Pro for Mac - Apple Support

I've used PDFs in the past but don't think I've ever exported an XML with one.

You could duplicate the project, remove the PDF and export that as a test.

If that's the problem you could use pngs of the PDF pages instead. Looks like "calf vigor draft3.pdf" is the only pdf referenced so it might not be too difficult to replace.

EDIT: I removed the references to the PDF in the XML and it imported.

Apr 18, 2024 9:31 AM in response to SarahWray99

I vaguely recollect seeing an issue with PDF pathname references in FCP XML files whereby if the pathname contained whitespace characters, under some conditions it might produce errors, but I can't remember if it was this one. Or it might have been if the filename did not contain the correct filename extension, IOW the .PDF was missing. It was something like that.

If you can upload your XML file or a link to the file we could examine that.

Apr 18, 2024 10:25 AM in response to joema

Hi Joema. Here are the relevant sections, r27 and r28, from SarahWray99's v1.10 fcpxml. The PDF filename does have spaces in it, but it appears to be quoted properly in the file path. Since it's not my fcpxml I don't feel comfortable reposting the link. Hopefully SarahWray99 will repost.

<asset id="r27" name="calf vigor draft3" uid="1D2475778EEBFE9C3B1A393F8FAA48CA" start="0s" duration="0s" hasVideo="1" format="r28" videoSources="1">
            <media-rep kind="original-media" sig="1D2475778EEBFE9C3B1A393F8FAA48CA" src="file:///Volumes/Mandalorian/Story%20Brokers%20Projects/BCRC/Calf%20Vitality/Drawings/calf%20vigor%20draft3.pdf">
                <bookmark>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</bookmark>
            </media-rep>
            <metadata>
                <md key="com.apple.proapps.studio.rawToLogConversion" value="0"/>
                <md key="com.apple.proapps.studio.cameraISO" value="0"/>
                <md key="com.apple.proapps.studio.cameraColorTemperature" value="0"/>
                <md key="com.apple.proapps.mio.ingestDate" value="2024-02-29 15:25:19 -0700"/>
            </metadata>
        </asset>
        <format id="r28" name="FFVideoFormatRateUndefined" width="612" height="792" colorSpace="1-13-1"/>

<video ref="r27" lane="2" offset="1705250547/24000s" name="calf vigor draft3 - pdf" start="86430344/24000s" duration="99099/24000s">
                                <adjust-transform position="-53.6508 5.55556" scale="0.83 0.83"/>
                            </video>

Apr 19, 2024 12:15 AM in response to terryb

The PDF filename does have spaces in it, but it appears to be quoted properly in the file path.

I started learning computers around 1995. With the release of the Windows 95 operating system, the Internet spread around the world.

At that time, I was told that it was better not to include spaces in file names, so I used "_" and "-". Are white spaces still a problem?

Final Cut Pro XML Import Error Code

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.