Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Exfat external hard drive no longer working on iPad

My external hard drive that has always worked with my iPad recently just stopped working. I backed up the information from the hard drive, reformat it to a exfat again and it’s still not appearing. I’ve restarted the iPad several times I’ve also connected the external hard drive to a different computer in the hard drive is working is showing up when the hard drive is plugged up into my iPad Pro. It is lighting up like it’s on. It’s running and everything but it’s not showing up in my files folder, I’m updated to iPad to the brand new iOS 17.1. It’s still not working help please anything any suggestions can go a mile

Windows, Windows 10

Posted on Apr 17, 2024 1:44 PM

1 reply

Apr 18, 2024 6:41 AM in response to Rizzo52

For information, iPadOS 17.4.1 is current. If your iPad is running iPadOS 17.1 as indicated, update to the current version is strongly recommended.

You make no mention of your iPad model. Be aware that HDD drives are notoriously power hungry - and will require external power when used with most models of iPad.

If your iPad has a Lightning port, you will need to use an Apple Lightning to USB3 Camera Adapter to connect USB devices to the iPad. This adapter has both a USB 3.0 Type-A connector and an additional Lightning port to supply power, from your Power Adapter, to both the iPad and connected device. The Power Adapter must be rated at 12W or more.

• Lightning to USB 3 Camera Adapter

https://store.apple.com/xc/product/MK0W2ZM/A

If you have one of the newer iPad models with a USB-C connector, you may need to utilise a powered USB hub (i.e., it has its own source of power) - connecting both the iPad Pro and the storage device to ports on the hub.

Some additional information can be found here:

Connect external devices or servers with Files on iPhone - Apple Support

https://www.imore.com/how-use-external-hard-drives-your-iphone-or-ipad

Exfat external hard drive no longer working on iPad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.