Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Replacing one bulb with a different bulb in home app

I have 50 Philips Hue light bulbs in rooms throughout my house, inside and out. It feels like a real hassle to remove a bulb to put in a different bulb with different characteristics. I don’t want to delete a room (and I don’t know if that is even a way to delete specific bulbs) because some rooms have several bulbs in it and I want to swap out only one. Any help would be appreciated.

iPhone 14 Pro Max

Posted on Apr 17, 2024 2:38 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 18, 2024 9:22 PM

Ok .

once again in Settings > Lights- click on the light you wish to delete as shown. I’m not sure if you need to click save as well. I can’t recall but if it’s highlighted to do so, then do it. You can edit the lamp names afterwards if you wish. I’ve left mine numbered so I know which are the oldest. Use the edit pencil icon beside the name.

Once you delete it ,you can discard it and add the new one. Hope that helps. It’s not really important to delete it once you add a new one but if it’s going in the garbage then it’s just cluttering things up! It will otherwise stay there as “not responding”.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 18, 2024 9:22 PM in response to fernem

Ok .

once again in Settings > Lights- click on the light you wish to delete as shown. I’m not sure if you need to click save as well. I can’t recall but if it’s highlighted to do so, then do it. You can edit the lamp names afterwards if you wish. I’ve left mine numbered so I know which are the oldest. Use the edit pencil icon beside the name.

Once you delete it ,you can discard it and add the new one. Hope that helps. It’s not really important to delete it once you add a new one but if it’s going in the garbage then it’s just cluttering things up! It will otherwise stay there as “not responding”.

Apr 17, 2024 11:41 PM in response to fernem

You should add the bulb via the Hue App . Start by first copying down the serial number on the bulb. Screw it into the light fixture and turn that fixture ON. In the Hue App in Settings > Lights - use the + top right , to add the bulb. Assign it to a room - it will perform a search to locate the bulb - this may take a few moments and why it needs to be turned ON first. If it can’t be found you’ll need to use the serial number to add it manually. Once set up it should display in the Home App. Assuming you have enabled Apple HomeKit sync in the Hue App.

There’s no need to delete a room. Also the Hue Bridge may only support up to 50 bulbs per bridge.

Replacing one bulb with a different bulb in home app

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.