Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Accessing old Time Machine external hard drive backups after Migration to new iMac

I used Migration Assistant to transfer data from an iMac Monterey OS to the latest iMac Sonoma OS. I have not been able to access my old external Time Machine from either the desktop icon or using the Command/Shift/C method. All I see are a list of numbers and dates on which those numbered backups were created/saved. I don't know how to open/access my old backups because when opening a date, there are three folders, HD, HD - Data and Recovery. Inside the last saved/numbered backup from the Monterey, I opened every folder, each expanded to a degree, the HD - Data has all of the user aliases created. Each iCloud Drive (Archive) has a folder with a red minus sign; empty. There is no way to open any of the old Time Machine backups to restore what I need. I have activated all of the permissions for TM that I know of. The browsing feature is only working for the last week of the new iMac. How do I access the old 2TB external Time Machine that has backups for my MacBook Pro, 2015 iMac (my main backups) and now, my new iMac?

I have backup items from 2019 that I have to save! And I am missing items (movies, music, videos, photos) from the original Migration that never made it so I have to sift through this external hard drive "TM". The "drive structure" method isn't working for me. Is there a simpler way to have access? I can't recycle my old iMac unless I can find a way to easily search and save my backup files. Can anyone help?

Time Capsule

Posted on Apr 17, 2024 2:47 PM

Similar questions

5 replies

Apr 20, 2024 10:37 AM in response to TOADY

If you're in the Finder when you looking at the folders and files you're doing it wrong. You must be in the Time Machine app via the TM menu in the menu bar and then select a file or folder you want to restore and click on the restore Button. This graphic screenshot shows how to restore a Photos Library:

Bottom line: you must be in Time Machine (not the Finder) to restore any TM backed up file.

Apr 18, 2024 8:34 AM in response to TOADY

Thanks for responding. Time Machine is already set up for my new Mac and it is making backups but they are not accessible either. I guess I will never be able to access my "past" unless I keep the old Mac. I did a migration from the time machine but the transfer was incomplete, apparently. Now I need to know if doing a "re-Migration" will help to wipe the new Mac, then try to migrate my data from the old TM. It never was this difficult to start up a new Mac. All of the new procedures seem to have taken up the "file folder" mindset of Windows. I guess I will just keep looking, because I need to get everything transferred. Thanks again for your suggestion.

Apr 19, 2024 6:28 PM in response to Old Toad

Well, I got to the same place that I was before. I can see the folders and some I can open but they are all Zero byte. I even tried dragging one of the files from the oldest backup to the new Mac desktop and now it is not only empty but it will not go to the trash. I have unlocked permissions on the folder but to no change. Apparently I have been saving things since 2016 but they only made new empty folders. I think I will just wipe the new Mac and do another Migration from my old Mac, since it is still sitting on the floor next to the desk! I appreciate the solution you offered though.

I'm not into having all of these new problems. I am strictly "plug'n'play", sit down, turn it on and go. But I will do what I can from here. Thanks again for your attention, Old Toad!

Accessing old Time Machine external hard drive backups after Migration to new iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.