Related Article: About the security content of Safari 17.4

How to update my iMac from macOS Big Sur to macOS Monterey.

good day to all - how can i update my macOS from macOS 11.7 big sur to macOS 12.0 monterey? i was doing my taxes and it repeatedly saying to me that i have to update my macOS 11.7 to 12.0, but, it also tells me that my macOS is up to date... please help

big sur to monterey

[Edited by Moderator]

iMac 27″, macOS 11.7

Posted on Apr 17, 2024 8:26 PM

12 replies

Apr 17, 2024 9:28 PM in response to taxyear2023

The issue is not your Mac, but the system requirements that your tax program requires. All apps, not just tax preparation apps, eventually get updated and require to be run on newer operating systems. This is the case here ... at least, what I understand from your post.

To be able to help you, we would need to know the exact model of iMac that you have. This will help us determine if it can support running anything newer than macOS Big Sur.

This support article identifies what Macs can run Monterey:

As Niel has already mentioned, you would need a 2015 or newer iMac for Monterey.

Apr 17, 2024 8:31 PM in response to taxyear2023

You can’t install any iOS version on your Mac. That’s for iPhones.

What year iMac is it. Go to the Apple Menu and select About This Mac. That will have the year and possibly an early/mid/late designation. That will determine what version of macOS you can run.

You can download older versions here: How to download and install macOS - Apple Support

How to update my iMac from macOS Big Sur to macOS Monterey.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.