Indian city/cities are not displayed in the “world time” watch face

In the world time watch face that I use with my Apple Watch, I see the following:

The city names displayed in the outer ring are:

Dubai

Cairo

London

S. Georgia

Caracas

Mexico

Los Angeles

Hawaii

Auckland

Sydney

Beijing

Dhaka

The city names displayed in the inner ring are as follows:

Moscow

Paris

Azores

Rio

New York

Denver

Alaska

Samoa

Noumea

Tokyo

Bangkok

Karachi

Why is there no mention of India or any Indian city anywhere on this watch face?

Appreciate a clarification about this rather than any of the unhelpful suggestions mentioned in the following thread:

No Indian Standard Time on Watch World Ti… - Apple Community

Apple Watch Series 6, watchOS 10

Posted on Apr 17, 2024 8:26 PM

9 replies

Apr 18, 2024 7:27 AM in response to adhiraj_bose

adhiraj_bose wrote:

... Why is there no mention of India or any Indian city anywhere on this watch face?

You would need to ask Apple.

Apple Watch faces and their features - Apple Support (IN) makes no mention of any ability to add or remove locations from that watch face.

There is no standard for choosing which names appear on a typical "world time" watch. Its original inception was developed by Louis Cottier in the 1930s, and included names of 24 cities corresponding to 24 time zones. Other implementations include additional city names — as many as 37 cities on one case. Nearly all of them include London, but not many include Samoa.

It gets worse because 24 time zones is an oversimplification that ignores the fact most of India reckons its time as UTC + 5:30. Some cities are on an x hour plus 15 minute time. And they're not all cities anyway. Mexico is not a city; neither is Hawaii. S. Georgia is a territory. Why did they choose it? I'm guessing it's the only place on Earth with a time zone of UTC - 2:00, but I suppose there could be smaller islands in it too.

We don't know the reason Apple chose those names. Why does Noumea with its population of less than 100,000 get included but Nepal's 30 million are excluded? Good question.

Apr 18, 2024 8:08 PM in response to adhiraj_bose

The best way (really, the only way) to make your request known to Apple is to use their Feedback portal, here:

Feedback - Watch - Apple

Apple will consider all suggestions, but they do not acknowledge receipt. If they decide to implement your suggestions, it is likely to take a very long time.

There may be a better way. A quick search of the App Store yielded a number of watch design apps that you may be able to use to design your own custom watch face. One of them is called Clockology and it has many positive reviews. I don't have it so I can't make any recommendations either way.

There are others, so do your research. It sounds like an interesting project.

Apr 18, 2024 12:28 AM in response to Ingo2711

Dear Ingo2711,

Please go through my question again and let me know which part/parts of it you didn’t understand.

The section from the Apple Watch user guide that you posted in your response is not at all related to the question that I have posted.

I shall welcome questions from you to help clarify whatever doubts you may have rather than unhelpful and out of scope suggestions.

Regards,

Adhiraj

Apr 18, 2024 10:57 PM in response to adhiraj_bose

In the user guide Apple mentions, that those 24 cities represent the 24 time zones, i.e. familiar names for cities or places in countries around the globe in those time zones.

Why should Apple want to add 25 or more cities for 24 time zones? This would clutter the whole design for the watch face. Might also be a reason for adding Mexico instead of Mexico City.

Indian city/cities are not displayed in the “world time” watch face

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.