Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Limit # of photos shared to icloud photos -- is it possible?

I currently don't use iCloud photos. I did use Photostream, which was supposedly limited to something like the last 1000 photos taken on any device.

But that went away, and now there's just iCloud photos, and everything I read suggests it will upload photos until one's iCloud storage is full. I have a huge collection of photos, and I'm just not willing to spend enough money every month to store a copy of every photo in my collection.

If I could limit uploads to, say, the last xxxx photos taken, or photos taken in the last x months, or limit the amount of iCloud storage delegated to photo storage, or some similar option, I might find that useful. But I can't find any mention of such options in Apple's documentation.

Am I missing something? Or is this service really all or nothing? (I'll stick with nothing if that's the case.)

Mac Studio, macOS 14.4

Posted on Apr 18, 2024 8:21 AM

Similar questions

5 replies

Apr 18, 2024 8:37 AM in response to JSmith_MD

It is all or nothing. The purpose of iCloud Photos is for syncing the same photos across all devices so one device will look exactly like the other. It has never been intended to be used as a storage service like the Files app. If that is not the service you are interested in, then I would suggest not using it.

If you just have a few photos that you would like to view on another device or save to the cloud, then you can save them in your Files app. The advantage of using iCloud Photos is that the storage on your device is automatically managed using the Optimized Storage option so your device does not use storage for the full resolution photo.

Apr 18, 2024 8:59 AM in response to Phil0124

There is a fine distinction. On a Mac iCloud Photos is syncing all photos from the system Photos Library and ignores all additional Photos Library. We are not forced to keep all our photos in our System photos library.

Keep the system Photos Library small enough to to serve jus as a replacement for My Photos Stream with just the new photos and your most important favorites, and remove all other photos to an additional archive library.

Apr 18, 2024 9:08 AM in response to léonie

léonie wrote:

There is a fine distinction. On a Mac iCloud Photos is syncing all photos from the system Photos Library and ignores all additional Photos Library. We are not forced to keep all our photos in our System photos library.
Keep the system Photos Library small enough to to serve jus as a replacement for My Photos Stream with just the new photos and your most important favorites, and remove all other photos to an additional archive library.

This is true. A bit convoluted, but yes, this is an option on a Mac, not so much on an iPhone or iPad.

Limit # of photos shared to icloud photos -- is it possible?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.