Can I delete photos from library, without deleting them from albums?

can I delete pictures from library without deleting them from albums?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone 15, iOS 17

Posted on Apr 18, 2024 12:06 PM

4 replies

Apr 18, 2024 12:36 PM in response to 2015Budrose

Library is an view provided by Apple to show all of the pictures in your Photos Library. This can't be changed. This album always provides the same view so that, when something goes wrong or seems off, you (and we) can depend on it showing the same thing, and there's no chance that someone changed the order or removed pictures.

The cool thing about the way this works is that you can put a picture in several albums, but it's really only one picture in your Library. An album is just a list of pictures to show when you click on it-- like a playlist of songs, but a playlist of pictures. Adding a picture to an album doesn't remove it from others, and it doesn't take any more storage space. And removing a picture from an album doesn't remove it from others. (But deleting a picture from the Library, deletes it from all lists.)

So-- if it's not in your Library view, it's also not in any album (except, maybe, in Recently Deleted) and it's not on your phone.

Apr 18, 2024 1:09 PM in response to 2015Budrose

I'm not sure what you want that's different. You can make an album of your own, call it My Library, and then delete what you like from there. Frankly, I just don't look at the Library view very often-- I use my albums to keep my pictures organized so that I can find them. I can put the picture of "Aunt Ethel at the Grand Canyon" in the "Aunt Ethel" album with other pictures of Aunt Ethel, and it can also be in the "Grand Canyon" album with pictures of other people at the Grand Canyon. And I can also put the picture in the August of 1987 album. That's very powerful in organizing pictures.

If you let us know what you want to do, we may be able to help...

Can I delete photos from library, without deleting them from albums?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.