Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Force Quit Applications

Hi everyone,

I'm fairly new to Mac's and I have a MacBook Air (macOS Big Sur, 1.3 GHz Dual Core Intel Core i5, 4 GB 1600 MHz DDR4 memory) (have had this about 3 years now and use it for basic research and social media). I have been getting a pop-up requesting to force quit applications saying there is too much memory in use. However, the only 2 apps in use are Google Chrome (with 218 mb of memory being used) and Finder (with less memory than chrome). I also get the message if I'm out of Chrome and in Safari instead.

I have looked at others' responses to other people here, and nothing I've attempted from those responses seems to fix it, or it's way over my head and I can't figure out what to do. Is this something I need to bring into an Apple store to get fixed? Or is there something I can do to fix it. It's driving me crazy!

Nothing new has been installed in a long while (over 4 months), and this is a new issue (maybe going on for 3-4 weeks).

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

MacBook Air 11″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Apr 18, 2024 6:04 PM

1 reply

Apr 19, 2024 2:05 AM in response to catinreno

Try and boot the Mac in the safe mode to see if the issues persist. If they don't persist in the safe mode, they're caused by an external piece of software. You might want to evaluate the software installed to your Mac

Start up your Intel-based Mac in safe mode

1. Turn on or restart your Mac, then immediately press and hold the Shift key until you see the login window.
  2. Log in to your Mac.
  3. You might be asked to log in again.
  4. On either the first or second login window, you should see “Safe Boot” in the menu bar.

Force Quit Applications

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.