Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Motherboard replacement x 3 seriously Apple

Is it worth replacing the motherboard on a 2021 silicon chip MacBook pro? I had hoped apple would.make an exception because I have had the same problem over and again since I bought it. Now, it's out of warranty. I think its a systemic hardware issue on that 1st Gen computer. They won't cover it, and now I have an expensive brick. I bought it in the US and have to repair it in India, which is almost the cost of a new Mac book air and half the cost of a new pro. And if I fix it, the same thing could happen again as it has 3 times now. Any thoughts?

MacBook Pro 14″, macOS 12.5

Posted on Apr 19, 2024 3:38 AM

Similar questions

2 replies

Apr 19, 2024 9:48 AM in response to sabinalisa

sabinalisa wrote:

Is it worth replacing the motherboard on a 2021 silicon chip MacBook pro? I had hoped apple would.make an exception because I have had the same problem over and again since I bought it. Now, it's out of warranty. I think its a systemic hardware issue on that 1st Gen computer. They won't cover it, and now I have an expensive brick. I bought it in the US and have to repair it in India, which is almost the cost of a new Mac book air and half the cost of a new pro. And if I fix it, the same thing could happen again as it has 3 times now. Any thoughts?

My thoughts — get out from under it.

you can submit your Apple Feedback here: Product Feedback - Apple

Contact the corporate office Contact - How to Contact Us - Apple

Out of warranty repairs in the USA anyway are limited to 90-days only.

Apr 22, 2024 11:20 PM in response to sabinalisa

In the US there are Lemon Laws which would cover you assuming it had the exact same issue each time (having the same part fail for slightly different reasons may not qualify), but IANAL. Trying to get a repair in another region just complicates matters even more since there may be regional differences in coverage.

I agree with @leroydouglas, it is time to cut your losses. Maybe you can pursue some legal action in the US, but it probably won't be easy, cheap, or fast so you would probably need a replacement laptop anyway while you await the outcome.

Motherboard replacement x 3 seriously Apple

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.