Safari hijacking media keys

Safari has this "feature" that has been annoying me for a while now. Whenever some media plays on Safari the media keys stops controlling whatever media app I'm using.

For example: If I'm listening to music on the Music app and I open an Youtube video, if I hit the pause button I'd expect my music to pause so I can watch the video with its audio. But, for some reason, Apple thinks it should pause the recently opened video. When that happens, I need to manually switch to the Music app and hit the pause button manually (using the cursor). That also happens when someone sends me an audio message on Whatsapp web.

The only way to get the media keys to control the Music app again is to quit whatever tab was playing anything.

This is the most stupid feature ever. I've sent feedbacks to Apple, but Apple doesn't give a fuck about user feedback. There are many users reporting the same issue annoyance with this "feature", Apple just wants us to send the feedback because nobody would ever see it, you can't got over a feedback and say "Hey I also have this issue".

Just add an option to NOT use media keys. Whoever wants it can enable it (or keep it enabled).

disable Safari Media Keys - Apple Community

MacBook Pro 14″, macOS 14.4

Posted on Apr 19, 2024 12:20 PM

Similar questions

3 replies

Safari hijacking media keys

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.