Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Mail crashes after adding an imap account

After adding an additional map account Mail crashes within seconds after opening. Restarting the app, rebooting the computer doesn't help. mail including the map account works fine on my iPad and Android phone.

Airbook 13", M3, 8GB/ 512GB, MacOS Sonoma 14.3, all available updates applied.

Any ideas? - Thanks in advance!

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 14.3

Posted on Apr 19, 2024 1:35 PM

2 replies

Apr 19, 2024 2:19 PM in response to Hanno_Barka

Try to boot the Mac in the safe mode to remove and readd the mail account in the safe mode to see if the issues persist

Start up your Mac with Apple silicon in safe mode

1. On your Mac, choose Apple menu  > Shut Down.
  2. Wait for your Mac to shut down completely. A Mac is completely shut down when the screen is black and any lights (including in the Touch Bar) are off.
  3. Press and hold the power button on your Mac until “Loading startup options” appears.
  4. Select a volume.
  5. Press and hold the Shift key, then click Continue in Safe Mode.
  6. The computer restarts automatically. When the login window appears, you should see “Safe Boot” in the menu bar.

Apr 19, 2024 3:10 PM in response to WheelieNick

Thanks for the fast reply. Yes unfortunately the problem persists. I don't really have a clue. Fun thing is - you just have to deactivate the account in the system settings - even without save boot - and the mail app works fine again. Activate it - and ka-boom! Also system.log, appfire.log and install.log show no suspicious entry. I'd blame the Imapaccount or some mail in it but as said, works fine on iPad and Android phone. Kind of a Bogey man search. Was hoping some one had this issue already and found a solution :)

Mail crashes after adding an imap account

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.