Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

I am unable to set up a 'used' iMac purchased from a 3rd party

I recently purchased an iMac secondhand. not sure what year it is but pretty positive it’s a 2014.

its been factory reset many times, so it’s wanting me to start up again. At first it said there was an error when I was trying to log into my Apple ID to start up the iMac and let me into it. And now it is saying it’s failed. (I know my Apple ID and password I’ve had the same one forever). I’m just confused because I haven’t even been able to get into the IMac. Any help would be nice

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iMac

Posted on Apr 19, 2024 4:57 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 19, 2024 5:04 PM

You can not use your Apple ID it the previous owner did not properly prepare it for resale.

see > What to do before you sell, give away, trade in, or recycle your Mac - Apple Support

What you need to do is have the original owner properly release, wipe and reinstall or…. you need to return it to the seller for a refund.

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 19, 2024 5:04 PM in response to Linamercer24

You can not use your Apple ID it the previous owner did not properly prepare it for resale.

see > What to do before you sell, give away, trade in, or recycle your Mac - Apple Support

What you need to do is have the original owner properly release, wipe and reinstall or…. you need to return it to the seller for a refund.

Apr 19, 2024 6:53 PM in response to Linamercer24

Then you have a paperweight . Apparently you did no do much research about buying a used Mac. Consider this a lesson, hopefully not a very expensive one!

moving forward, always buy from a reputable source if you are buying used!!!!!!!! For example Macsales.com fits that description or buying an Apple Refurbished Mac from Apple directly. Never ever use any of the following:

EBay

MarketPlace

Craigslist

your local computer shop

even your best friend

I am unable to set up a 'used' iMac purchased from a 3rd party

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.