Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Macbook shut down but battery is decreassing

I have a Macbook Air M1 with Sonoma 14.4.1. I got some issues about shut down my mac.

First, when i shut down in the afternoon (around 4pm) with 55% battery and turn back on in the morning (around 7 am) my battery is decreasing so fast to 30%. Like this:

Second issues, when i shut down and turn back on, my mac just show the lock screen to input the password, not reboot with Apple logo and the loading section. I've make sure that I shut down with correct way but it's don't want to shut down and just like sleep or hibernate.

Does anyone have some solution about this problem? Thanks.

MacBook Air 13″

Posted on Apr 19, 2024 7:42 PM

11 replies

Apr 20, 2024 10:21 PM in response to dwikyarsa

This may issue when your Mac's battery reached all its' life.

Before replacing the battery, enter recovery mode and run the diagnostic test. If it does show that your Mac has an issue with the battery, it may be a good idea to replace the battery of your Mac.

You could also check your battery health (maximum capacity, higher is better) in system presences. To check your maximum capacity, press on the "i" button next to "battery health". If it is below 80%, please replace your battery:

For more information about diagnostic test and its results, refer to these link:

1. Use Apple Diagnostics to test your Mac - Apple Support
  2. Apple Diagnostics reference codes - Apple Support

Thank you for reaching out in Apple Community

Apr 21, 2024 5:28 AM in response to a brody

Hello.

It seems like the "auto power" for new M series Mac actually not might be the issue.

I strongly believe that you are talking about the "auto power" function powers the Mac on when the lid is open. The Mac will power on and show the apple logo only when the lid is just open with the chime.

However, the problem that is shown here is that, even though the lid was closed, the Mac has powered on automatically, which was proved when the Mac's lid was open, the user of the Mac was directed shown to a login screen instead of seeing an apple logo with hearing a chime.

So, I think that the only solution is to reset the SMC, or to back up personal data and erase (reinstall) macOS.

If the problem continues, this may be a hardware issue (maybe hardware that detects if the lid is open or not (?)), so please take your Mac to Apple Support for more solutions.

For more information about Apple Coverage, please visit the website below:

Check Your Service and Support Coverage - Apple Support

Thanks

Apr 21, 2024 12:31 AM in response to Kyo317

Oh finally i found the same issues with my Mac on this discussion:

Both of that issues is still didn't find solutions.

So, after I shut down and close the lid, my laptop just turning on by itself. I know that because i hear the Apple sound startup (previously I never turn on my Mac volume so I did'nt hear that). That's why my Mac directly open the lock screen after shuting down.

Apr 20, 2024 1:11 PM in response to dwikyarsa

Some M1 machines are close to 3 years old already. Depending on usage and frequency of cycles, it is entirely possible that you already have reached the end of the useful life of the battery. Batteries - Apple covers how the batteries work with more detail.

If you are under AppleCare you might want to see if they will cover it.

Apple Service Programs - Apple Support

offers programs for people out of AppleCare.

Apr 20, 2024 10:41 PM in response to Kyo317

Thanks Kyo317 for the answer. But I've already check everything on my Mac and this is the result:

Battery Health 91% with Normal condition

Battery Information & System Power Setting:

I think everything is fine and in good conditions. But the only problem is when my laptop Shut Down, it feels like just Sleep, not fully Shut Down and turn off. So the battery is still decreasing.

I also run Diagnostics. And again, everything is fine with no issues.

Apr 20, 2024 10:55 PM in response to dwikyarsa

Thanks for the specific information.

It seems like there are no problems with your battery, which makes me assume it is a problem related to your Mac's power manager (manages Mac's sleep, shut down, etc).

Please try to hard shut down your Mac (press on the power button for 10 seconds) instead of using the built in shut down option.

Also, try to SMC reset your Mac, and the method is same as the hard shutdown of your Mac.

Wait for a few hours for the results, and tell me the progress.

Thanks

Apr 20, 2024 11:12 PM in response to Kyo317

I've just try that Force Shut Down with pressing the power button in 10 second until my laptop is turned off and I close it.

After I waiting like 5 minute and open it, my laptop directly showing the lock screen to input password. Even though it should be showing the Apple logo with loading section, but I don't know why my laptop not showing that. Still feels like just Sleep mode, not Shut Down. :(

Apr 21, 2024 5:18 AM in response to Kyo317

Thanks everyone here for reminding me of the auto-power on feature.

This feature while it makes Macs more like the iPad, it sounds like it could be better designed. Previous Mac models would keep an image of what was running so you could start them up faster. I would definitely bring it up to a service provider and explain to them you want to be able to ensure no battery is wasted when you shut down the Mac, and it only starts use after a deliberate power on. I would also mention, there is no harm in leaving your Mac plugged in while shut down. It will keep it charged. The only reason I would not do that is due to power outages and storms where a power surge could damage the computer.

Macbook shut down but battery is decreassing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.