Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Restoring iPad

I’ve read many questions saying what if you don’t have a computer,the answer is always borrow one or go to your local Apple Store but what if you can’t ? Many people may have friends that have a laptop but what if they won’t let you have it or just in general and why can’t you use your phone. Going to the Apple Store may take time and effort unless you are an apple employee or you live in the Apple Store.Some people live far away than others so it is harder.I don’t have a laptop and I don’t know anyone who owns one and the closest Apple Store for me is 45 mins away so is there anything I could do AT HOME and also WITHOUT a LAPTOP?

iPad Air, iPadOS 17

Posted on Apr 19, 2024 10:03 PM

3 replies

Apr 20, 2024 12:26 AM in response to Thatnumberoneswiftie

the only answer is that there is no way in the world you can accomplish it without the aid of a computer

if you wish to complain to apple that you can't then you can use

Feedback - iPad - Apple

if you wish to reach out to their official support channels then try

Get Support (apple.com)

And or

Contact

- Official Apple Support

And or

Contact - How to Contact Us - Apple

Or

Genius

Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

Apr 21, 2024 10:40 AM in response to Thatnumberoneswiftie

These support pages outline the available methods to restore an iPad - either from a backup, or to Factory Settings:

Restore your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch from a backup – Apple Support

Restore your iPhone, iPad or iPod to factory settings – Apple Support

Restore all content to iPad from a backup - Apple Support

To do so, it is currently necessary to use either a Windows PC (with iTunes for Windows installed - or more recent Apple Devices App) or a Mac computer (with iTunes or Finder - as appropriate for the installed version of macOS).

Download and use iTunes for Windows – Apple Support

Update to the latest version of iTunes – Apple Support

Apple Devices App (Windows PC):

https://apps.microsoft.com/detail/9np83lwlpz9k?hl=en-ms&gl=MS

When an iOS/iPadOS device cannot boot to a running state, use of a Windows PC or Mac computer to perform the restore process is unavoidable. In circumstances where you have no access to suitable computer - either of your own or a helpful friend or family member - the technicians at the Genius Bar of your local Apple Store or Apple Authorised Service Provider (AASP) are able to assist:

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

You should note that AASPs are often much closer to you than an Apple Store.

Apple invite submission of constructive comments and feature requests via its Product Feedback portal. If you would like to see Apple consider introducing additional methods by which you might restore iPad and iPhone devices, this would be the most appropriate channel through which to make your request:

Product Feedback - Apple

Apr 21, 2024 10:51 AM in response to Thatnumberoneswiftie

If you need to restore your iPad because it has stopped working or has been locked out or whatever the reason, then unfortunately there is no way to do it other than the options that you mentioned. I know this isn't what you want to hear, but it is the way it works unfortunately. I too myself live around 45 minutes from an Apple Store but that isn't really a huge deal if I needed to get something like that taken care of. The process doesn't take an extremely long time and if they can do it by just plugging it into a computer, they will do it for you at that time. Just make sure you schedule an appointment before you go in there. They are usually very busy.

Restoring iPad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.