Long-Term viability of the iPad Pro 10.5 1st Gen for battery replacement

Is it worthwhile to replace battery on iPad Pro, 1st Gen. how much longer is the model being supported by apple? I’ve had it since 2017.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Apr 20, 2024 11:13 AM

3 replies

Apr 21, 2024 5:53 AM in response to TWipad2024

Technically, while not specified as such, the iPad Pro 10.5" is a second generation iPad Pro. The iPad Pro 10.5", while obviously not as powerful as current models of iPad Pro, is still a very capable iPad that supports iPadOS 17.x.

You can establish eligibility and cost of a battery replacement in your country/region here:

iPad Repair & Service - Apple Support

You can also arrange battery replacement at the Genius Bar at your local Apple Store or Apple Authorised Service Provider (AASP):

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

For practical purposes, in lieu of replacing the battery and returning your own iPad, Apple usually exchange the iPad for a renewed/refurbished iPad of the same model and specification. The cost of the exchange is the same as would otherwise be charged for the battery replacement.

Apr 20, 2024 12:00 PM in response to TWipad2024

I’m in the same boat with my Pro 10.5 from 2017. Still one of the best, if not the best iPads put out with its design/features. The rounded back was more comfy to hold than the current version. Anyway, the rumor I have seen thus far is that it is unlikely iPadOS 18 in Fall 2024 will be available for the A10X fusion chip on it. Even if that is true, you should still get security fixes for longer on your old iPad, just not the new features.

If your 10.5 is still great other than the battery, and you don’t care much about new hardware/software features, it’d be worth updating the battery and holding on to the device longer if it suits your needs.

Long-Term viability of the iPad Pro 10.5 1st Gen for battery replacement

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.