Factory reset Mac Mini

I was given an old Mac Mini but it boots up to a desktop but when I try to do anything it is asking for a password that no one knows. I would like to do a full factory reset/wipe but no key combination I have found on the Internet seems to give me the Recovery app. I have tried Command-R, Option-Command-R, Option-Shift-Command-R at boot up, it acts like there is nothing there and goes straight to the desktop. These options are supposed to take me to the Internet to reinstall from there. THe Mac Mini is on the Internet. I have tried reinstall Disks and USBs that have OSX Snow Lepard, Mountain Lion, Yosemite, they all say it is not for this MAC. in the About this Mac section is says its Model identifier is MacMini 1,1 and on the bottom it says model A1176. Where can I find /download the correct bootable USB/Disk to do a factory reset?

Any help would be appreciated, I want to wipe it and donate it instead of e-wasting it.

Mac mini (M1, 2020)

Posted on Apr 20, 2024 8:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 20, 2024 8:39 PM

Contact the person who gave it to you, or buy a retail Mac OS X 10.5 or 10.6 DVD from a source such as Amazon or eBay; using 10.6 requires it to have at least 1GB of RAM. That model is too old to access the Internet Recovery system.

(252677)

3 replies

Apr 21, 2024 2:07 AM in response to ijmolder

MacMini1,1 and A1176 identify it as an Early or Late 2006 Mac Mini. Mac OS X 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard) is the most recent version of the Mac OS that it can run.

Due to changes in https security and other Web standards, that machine is now going to be pretty much useless for browsing modem Web sites. Just about nobody is still releasing applications for Snow Leopard (including developers of Ooen Source applications like Firefox, GIMP, and LibreOffice).

Either machine would have a now ancient Intel CPU that lacks 64-bit support and has at most two cores.

Apr 20, 2024 8:57 PM in response to Niel

Thanks for the quick reply, I will order the retail 10.6 DVD as the owner is, well, no longer around...

Since this is so old do you think it is safe to buy the 10.6 or should I go with 10.5? What is the highest OS it can be upgraded to?

Also, will this unit boot to a USB install? Or should I get the Disk?

Factory reset Mac Mini

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.