Battery Drain on MacBook Pro while in Sleep

I have a 2020 MacBook Pro on Sonoma 14.4.1 that is experiencing significant battery drain every night on Sleep Mode. I charge the MacBook Pro to full during the day before Sleep, but then overnight the battery will drain to 0% and I have to recharge and restart the computer every morning. When I look at the overnight Battery Level in System Preferences, I see that the computer experiences a gradual battery level decline, a sharp battery level incline due to charging although my laptop is not connected to a power adapter overnight, then a gradual battery level decline again. I am unsure why the Battery Level fluctuates so much and why it says the computer is charging when it is not connected to a Power Adapter.

• Battery Health is Normal.
  • I am not using Power Nap.
  • I cannot find or turn off Screen Time since it is unavailable in the sidebar of System Preferences (Screen Time Not Showing Up - Apple Community)
  • I have the latest MacOS version.

MacBook Pro (2017 – 2020)

Posted on Apr 21, 2024 10:24 AM

3 replies

Apr 21, 2024 2:43 PM in response to pbj_is_okay

When you set your computer down in one place, connect it to AC power.

That computer is a battery-CAPABLE device. It is not optimized as a battery-operated device. (It is NOT an iPhone.)

In general, you should ALWAYS connect AC power when it is possible to do so, and only run on batteries (which could be somewhat slower) when no AC sources are at hand. Your Mac will NEVER over-charge.

Battery Drain on MacBook Pro while in Sleep

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.