Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Getting error "Please Contact the Card Issuer"on iPhone Pro Max and won't connect to Apple Pay

I try to connect my card in my iPhone 15 pro max several times, and it always says “pls contact the card issuer” notice, but when I try my card to iPhone 7, it works instantly… now while I’m posting this, tried it once again to the 15. Now can’t connect to Apple Pay.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone 15 Pro Max, iOS 17

Posted on Apr 21, 2024 11:14 AM

23 replies

Apr 21, 2024 11:53 AM in response to Vrnchtr

OK, so the current error message is Can’t connect to Apple Pay. Please let me know when it changes.

You’re next step is Reset Network Settings.

>>Reset your network settings

If you're using iOS or iPadOS 15 or later, tap Settings > General > Transfer or Reset [Device] > Reset > Reset Network Settings.

If you're using iOS or iPadOS 14 or earlier, tap Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings.

This also resets Wi-Fi networks and passwords, cellular settings, and VPN and APN settings that you've used before.<<

If your iPhone or iPad won't connect to a Wi-Fi network - Apple Support

Apr 24, 2024 9:32 AM in response to Vrnchtr

What on the phone is information about the iPhone. Changing cards rarely changes anything and I’d be surprised if anything changes. Here is what Apple shares from information on the iPhone.

• When you add a card to Apple Pay, card-related information, location, and information about device settings and use patterns may be sent to Apple to determine eligibility.

• Some of the above information, account-related information, and paired-device details may be shared with your card issuer or bank to determine eligibility and for anti-fraud purposes.

This emphasis I added. The information shared includes information about your Apple ID Account, iTunes Store usage, location (Location Services), address and other information. The banks use the information to determine their fraud risk from the device. Generally, the risk is rated Green, Yellow, Orange (not used by all banks) and Red. This information is shared with the issuing bank and the Token Service Provide (TSP). The TSP is usually the Payment Network Operator (MasterCard, Visa etc.). If something is amiss, the dynamic token is not sent to the iPhone from the TSP to the iPhone and the error message you see is sent. Did the bank explain that to you? Below is the data flow of provisioning a card for Apple Pay.

Apple can see if their servers are receiving the token from the bank. If no token is received is received, you get the bank error that you’re receiving.

Apr 23, 2024 2:32 AM in response to Jeff Donald

Yes, and after I agree. The error occurs.. contact the card issuer for more information. Add card later.. I have gone through the bank yesterday. They check my card and account. And there were no problems. After that I go to the Apple Store where I buy the phone. To have it checked. They signed it out and in. Still nothing happened.

Getting error "Please Contact the Card Issuer"on iPhone Pro Max and won't connect to Apple Pay

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.