Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

sharing iMovie data between Macs

One mini in Fla, one in NY.

Everything stored to iDrive, NOT iCloud.

Where do different things, folders go in iMovie 10?

IE: Library, Events or Projects?

Source material-IE:

Or can't this be done?

Basically incomplete projects that will be completed in different locations on different Macs.

iMovie did not find any of this on the internal drive that was dl'd from iDrive, File/Update Projects & Events.

Perhaps only Original Media can be imported via the usual method?

But in some cases they are completed projects that I want in both places beyond iDrive.

Would I need to set up another Lib in iMovie and drop projects into that Lib via Finder?

Mac mini, macOS 12.7

Posted on Apr 21, 2024 11:29 AM

Similar questions

5 replies

Apr 22, 2024 4:20 PM in response to Fritz Lang1

In iMovie 10 media loaded into the app, and the projects, are located in the iMovie library.  The

iMovie library by default is loated in the Movies folder on your Mac, but in your case it appears that you moved your iMovie library to iDrive, so look for it there.   

When you locate the library, Control-click on its icon and

select Show Package contents from the pop-up menu.  A folder will appear that lists subfolders

for all of the projects and events in the library.   Clicking on one of the subfolders that bears a project name will reveal all of the original  media, render files, and analysis files.  For example, re the project My Movie:

Do not alter, move, or delete anything from the Show Package Contents or its subfolders, or you risk corrupting your iMovie library.  You can, however, copy (not move) things out of the folders. 

The following link will connect you to a discussion on the ways to share and iMovie library for collaboration:

Collaborating in imovie projects - Apple Community

-- Rich

Apr 22, 2024 4:51 PM in response to Rich839

Thnaks Rich.

The iM lib is still on the boot disk of both minis. The snap may have been from iDrive.

It isnt collaboration I am looking into.

It's dl'g finished Projects from one place top another to be able to re-use the media.

But it appears as if the best way is to right click the iM lib on iDrive from Fla.

Grab media as needed, drop it onto local NY drive, and then import it to iM as "new" media.

sharing iMovie data between Macs

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.