Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Changes made to a photo in Markup sometimes being lost when I export it on Mac

I made changes to a photo with Markup, then clicked done and then exported the file with File > Export > 'Export 1 photo', not 'Export Unmodified Original for 1 Photo.'

I then went into Finder, saw the file as a JPG, and double-clicked it. It opened the photo and showed it without the changes I'd made in Markup.

Puzzled, I restarted my computer, came in and did the same thing. This time I saw the export created a JPEG rather than JPG. I'm not why it would be different these two times, but this time the photo contained the changes from Markup.

Any idea what could have happened?

iMac 24″, macOS 14.4

Posted on Apr 21, 2024 11:23 PM

Similar questions

4 replies

Apr 22, 2024 12:39 PM in response to rick7

If your Photos Library is on the internal drive of your Mac, the file system will be compatible with Photos.

You can see the file system format, if you select your Macintosh HD in the Finder, then use the keyboard shortcut ⌘I to see the info of the volume. The format of the file system is shown in the General section of the Info.

Apr 21, 2024 11:31 PM in response to rick7

hmm works for me.

Is the Photos library stored on an APFS or MacOS Extended volume (NOT exFAT etc which are not supported)? No 3rd party virus apps (Avast, AVG, Bitdefender, Intego, MacAfee, Norton, ESET NOD32, Trusteer etc) and 3rd party "cleaning", "optimizing", "speed-up" apps (CleanMyMac, MacKeeper etc)? They produce only obscure errors and money loss.

Apr 22, 2024 11:56 AM in response to Matti Haveri

Thanks much This is all on my 2021 iMac 24" with Apple silicon. How do I check if it's APFS or MacOS Extended volume? Not sure what those mean.

No third party virus apps or cleansing apps.

Back at it again today, and same problem: every time I export a photo that I'd modified with Markup, it loses the changes. The photo displayed in Preview shows what the photo was like before I made the changes. I've tried exporting to a folder on iCloud Drive, a folder on Microsoft's OneDrive, and a folder directly on my hard drive--it fails each time.

I'll reboot and see if that changes anything. Thanks for any additional thoughts.

Changes made to a photo in Markup sometimes being lost when I export it on Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.