Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

FCP Runs Slow on iMac Pro

I have an iMac Pro (2019) with the following spec:

Processor: 2.3 GHz 18-Core Intel Xeon W (with 1TB SSD)

Graphics : Radeon Pro Vega 56 8 GB

Memory: 128 GB 2666 MHz DDR4

IOS: 14.4.1

Final Cut Pro: 10.7.1

External HDs - various from 8TB Samsung T5 SSD to Promise Pegasus32 R6 24TB (a hateful thing) and Seagate 10TB Backup Plus.

All media is outside the Library

All Libraries are stored on the Mac internal SSD which has more than 50% free space (and is VERY fast).

All external HDs have a minimum of 10% free space.

Regardless of which HD the original media is on, when I use a Library which has more than a couple of hundred clips, FCP is very slow to navigate between libraries or to browse clips. It stops responding, and sometimes takes more than a minute for the beach ball to go away.

I don't really understand Activity Monitor, but I see no big spikes on CPU use (which is about 1.5% when running FCP). Memory use is about 15GB total (of which FCP is using about 2.6) when the beach ball is active.

I'm at a loss with this. Clearly, I get the issue more often with Libraries which contain a lot of clips, but after the delay, the system works fine.

I have deleted all Generated render, proxy and optimised files - and of course, ditched the preferences several times.

I'd buy a newer Mac if I was sure it would overcome the problem, but as Activity Monitor doesn't suggest the Mac is anywhere near its working limit, I can't see that it would make any difference.

One of the libraries has around 5000 clips of smaller size (mostly 1080p and 720p). The other library has around 1600 clips most of which are 4k.

I get the same problem with either library.

Any knowledgeable advice will be most welcome...

Andy

iMac Pro, macOS 13.5

Posted on Apr 22, 2024 2:40 AM

Similar questions

22 replies

Apr 23, 2024 7:18 AM in response to andynick

If you have lots of projects or project snapshots it can cause slow behavior when navigating between libraries. In each library, select the Projects smart collection in the top folder, and see how many projects and snapshots you have. Please report the total number for each library.

There is a separate issue if you have imported "bare" AVCHD clips using "leave files in place." Those usually have an .MTS file extension. Those can cause extremely high I/O rates which is noticeable when changing libraries or events, if the viewer is in "filmstrip" mode. Even if just a few of those clips are imported to a library that mostly contains other types of media, the AVCHD clips can "poison" the I/O capability of the entire library. That media type should be imported using "copy to library" or, ideally, rewrapped externally before import using EditReady.

Please investigate these areas and report back. If none of these apply, the next time you have a 60-sec beachball, please take a Spindump using Activity Monitor. Procedure:

• Run Activity Monitor
  • Select the FCP process in Activity Monitor
  • In FCP reproduce the beachball behavior
  • While it's in a beachball state, in Activity Monitor, do View>Run Spindump, or else use CTRL+OPT+CMD+S keys (all at once).
  • After the Spindump is generated, in the upper right corner, click the "Save" button and save it as a .txt file.
  • Upload the text file somewhere I can see it. That text file will be about 8 megabytes, likely too large for an attachment on this forum.

Tom -- Do you have any other suggestions for how I can get this file? I tried posting a link to a WeTransfer upload folder, but I was warned against that.

Apr 22, 2024 3:16 AM in response to andynick

Thank you for giving plenty of information up front; it saves a lot of back and forth.

Right off the bat, the issue is surely with I/O, not the processor or memory, which are plenty fast enough.

If I/O is the bottleneck, a new Mac is not likely to help that much.

I will have a look at your report.

In the meantime, you may run Blackmagic Disk Speed Test on those external drives. What does it say?

Apr 22, 2024 3:41 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Thanks for your prompt reply, Luis.

I use the hateful (noisy - and doesn't sleep when it should) Promise Pegasus 24Tb drive as a backup drive, would you believe - but even if I rename the volumes and use it as the media drive, I still get exactly the same issue with that drive as with the others.

For the record, the Promise Pegasus Writes at around 420 MB/s and Reads at 310 MB/s.

The slowest drive I use is an old G-Tech SATA 10TB which Reads and Writes at just over 150 MB/s.

The Samsung T5 8TB SSD Reads and Writes at over 400 MB/s.

I created a new user on the Mac, and the problem was still there, unfortunately.

Disk Utility First Aid suggests all is OK but that was a couple of weeks ago. I'll run the first aid again.

Apr 22, 2024 4:17 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

I don't have an SSD large enough to do that at the moment. The external SSD is only 8TB - too small for the contents of any of the large Libraries, so I'm copying one of the Seagate drives to the Promise Pegasus, which is rotating, but pretty fast. Then I will disconnect all other external drives and try again.

I see the copy is going at just over 200 MB/s so it'll take a while!

I'll let you know when I have a result.

Apr 23, 2024 1:19 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Thanks for your help, Luis.

With the exception of the media on the Samsung T5 SSD drive, I have moved all the media to the Promise Pegasus 24Tb drive and have been using just the two external drives with Final Cut Pro.

Results so far are very promising. I re-linked around 6,000 clips with no problems, and have briefly used the application on the same project I was working on before. All has gone very well.

I'll give it a little longer before marking as resolved (or whatever) but it's looking good.

The only problem is (as mentioned yesterday) the Pegasus drive is noisy. I want to replace it with a quiet but FAST external HD (for video). If anyone has any recommendations, I'd love to hear them.

Apr 23, 2024 3:08 AM in response to andynick

I can see that you have a lot of files, obviously requiring a lot of space.

I think this all depends on how much media you need to access for the same work.

If you can fit a production in, say, 4TB, or 8TB (as opposed to, say, 24TB), I'd do all the editing on an SSD, and

keep the big fat rotating hard drives for backup and archive.

You could get yourself one or two external SSD, or even a RAID.

You can even get a RAID box (e.g. from OWC, a company providing Mac peripherals for a long time) with empty drive bays, which will allow you to grow in time, and support either HD or SSD.

Using SSD, a RAID will probably not add much speed, if any, but will allow you to make a BIG SSD out of a few smaller ones.

FWIW, I would only edit from a rotating HD if I absolutely had to. SSD are so much better.

Apr 23, 2024 10:49 AM in response to joema

Thanks for the useful suggestions joema, I don't have time just at the moment, but uploading a big file is no problem. We use Amazon s3 for our videos. I'll put it there when I have a moment.

We don't use AVCHD, but I'll check, just in case.

I'll check the projects and snapshots too, but I don't think there will be many.

I should point out the situation is much improved since I put the vast majority of my media on the one (fairly fast) drive, but did get a couple of prolonged beach-ball events today when I changed the view from Original to Proxy (and then to Proxy Only).

I'll do some more digging, and come back soon.

Apr 23, 2024 11:17 AM in response to joema

To the best of my knowledge there is no prohibition in the terms of use against links to file sharing sites such as WeTransfer. I know the links are almost always removed shortly after posting, probably by a bot. The link will appear in the autogenerated email that does to anyone following the forum, a particular thread, or who posted on a particular thread. I understand why Apple is wary of file sharing links posted on their forums, but again, there is no explicit language that I can see in the TOU that prohibits it. I can't speak to other Apple forums but certainly in FCP and Compressor they are used fairly frequently.

Apr 23, 2024 12:11 PM in response to Tom Wolsky

I just tried posting a WeTransfer link to accept errorlogs and that was not OK. I'll be happy to use whatever the approved procedures are, but we absolutely must know what those are. They aren't in the TOU. When dealing with FCP, there is a significant class of problems that require us to receive various logs and other troubleshooting files, and sometimes send customers files as well.

Apr 23, 2024 3:58 PM in response to Tom Wolsky

An FCP spindump is about 8 megabytes of text. That might be too big for an attachment, but the main thing we want to see is from the top of the spindump down to the bottom of the main thread -- the first thread listed. If the users could just use TextEdit (in plain text mode) to copy that to another file, it is only about 60-70 KB. It could be attached to a post.

But that is only one case. We really need a way to exchange troubleshooting files.

Apr 23, 2024 8:35 PM in response to Tom Wolsky

I can't speak to other Apple forums but certainly in FCP and Compressor they are used fairly frequently.

I only participate in the FCP community on the US site, but I can compare it with the Japanese site. I feel that only the FCP community on the US site has "special" deletion criteria.

We may have direct discussions with the Japanese site administrator and users. It has been pointed out for some time that the removal criteria for each site is inconsistent and tends to be based on personal feelings. Administrators in Japan rarely delete links unless there is an advertising or sexual purpose. I am always grateful for their kindness.👍

The most important purpose is to "solve a problem". I think we users are working very hard for this purpose. You need to directly validate the file to serve your purpose. Is it really a good thing to take away the means to solve a problem?

Apr 24, 2024 12:58 AM in response to joema

The biggest library has 6940 clips in the Smart Collections...

I couldn't find any .mts files.

I had no idea links were 'verboten' and I'm struggling to get the spindump text or even part of it to go into the 'additional text' box, but I've uploaded it to Amazon and will add the link below if it will let me.

Now that I'm using faster drives, the problem only occurs when I launch FCP and when I change from Original or optimised to Proxy or Proxy preferred.

Thanks for your continued help with this.

Spindump

FCP Runs Slow on iMac Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.