How to increase the battery efficiency of MacBook Air M2

i put my macbook air m2 to shutdown at night with 68% battery when i opened my mac next day at 6 pm battery dropped to 32 % i want to know it is normal for macbooks or i have issue with battery but battery health is 100%

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Apr 22, 2024 5:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 22, 2024 5:54 AM

Hello.

For short answer, no. This battery draining problem is not normal, and is related to the "auto-power" issue.

It seems like the "auto power" for new M series Mac actually might be the issue. And this issue has been keep appearing to happen.

I strongly believe that the "auto power" function should power the Mac on when the lid is open. The Mac will power on and show the apple logo only when the lid is just open with the chime.

However, the problem that is shown here is that, even though the lid was closed, it seems like the Mac has powered on automatically, which was proved when the Mac's lid was open, the user of the Mac was directed shown to a login screen instead of seeing an apple logo with hearing a chime.

The other problem is that, the M series Mac has a great efficiency of battery, meaning that it will function just like other apple mobile devices; Even though the Mac is not shut down, it doesn't drain the battery that much. The battery draining is another issue. Making two issues instead of only one.

So, I think that the only solution is to reset the SMC, or to back up personal data and erase (reinstall) macOS.

If the problem continues, this may be a hardware issue (maybe hardware that detects if the lid is open or not (?), or some parts of the hardware are being used even though it should not be), so please take your Mac to Apple Support for more solutions.

For more information about Apple Coverage, please visit the website below:

Check Your Service and Support Coverage - Apple Support

For the link to discussion that had the same issue as this discussion, please check out this discussion, too:

Macbook shut down but battery is decreass… - Apple Community

Thanks

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 22, 2024 5:54 AM in response to anuragchauhan4444

Hello.

For short answer, no. This battery draining problem is not normal, and is related to the "auto-power" issue.

It seems like the "auto power" for new M series Mac actually might be the issue. And this issue has been keep appearing to happen.

I strongly believe that the "auto power" function should power the Mac on when the lid is open. The Mac will power on and show the apple logo only when the lid is just open with the chime.

However, the problem that is shown here is that, even though the lid was closed, it seems like the Mac has powered on automatically, which was proved when the Mac's lid was open, the user of the Mac was directed shown to a login screen instead of seeing an apple logo with hearing a chime.

The other problem is that, the M series Mac has a great efficiency of battery, meaning that it will function just like other apple mobile devices; Even though the Mac is not shut down, it doesn't drain the battery that much. The battery draining is another issue. Making two issues instead of only one.

So, I think that the only solution is to reset the SMC, or to back up personal data and erase (reinstall) macOS.

If the problem continues, this may be a hardware issue (maybe hardware that detects if the lid is open or not (?), or some parts of the hardware are being used even though it should not be), so please take your Mac to Apple Support for more solutions.

For more information about Apple Coverage, please visit the website below:

Check Your Service and Support Coverage - Apple Support

For the link to discussion that had the same issue as this discussion, please check out this discussion, too:

Macbook shut down but battery is decreass… - Apple Community

Thanks

How to increase the battery efficiency of MacBook Air M2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.