Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Apple Reseller Importing Into Apple Business Manager

I'm setting up my Apple Business Manager account and I'm on the section to add your reseller ID to automatically enroll devices into our Apple Business Manager. Before I add the ID I want to verify that the imported devices won't auto reset and/or reboot. I don't want to disrupt any end users.

Posted on Apr 22, 2024 12:32 PM

4 replies

Apr 22, 2024 3:32 PM in response to jaetech228

Adding the reseller ID should NOT impact your existing fleet. Please note, unless you have a good reseller, they will NOT backload your prior purchases. Since you did not have a org ID, they never associated prior sales to your organization. Once you have ABM setup, they can. But you may need to ask them and if they are not familiar with the process, it may take some time. Generally, you may need to treat your equipment as two sets of devices; everything before ABM and everything after. The before can be user-initiated enrolled and the after can go through automated enrollment.

For your old gear, you can ask the reseller to assign the devices to your ABM. Doing so could have impact on devices running Sonoma and above as Sonoma supports retroactive supervision. For example, if you have a machine that was purchased prior to ABM and it is NOT enrolled in device management, then the reseller backloads the assets and you assign it to an MDM and a pre-stage, then the Sonoma device (T2 or better) will eventually query Apple's activation server and prompt the user to enroll via automated device enrollment. They are offered one "not now" and then the device is locked until enrolled.

An alternative to asking your reseller to backload your pre-existing devices is to handle your old equipment via attrition. Each time you turn a unit over (someone leaves and your reissue), use Apple Configurator to side load the unit into ABM. This allow you to control the flow of the old equipment into ABM and thus automated enrollment.

Hope this helps

Apr 29, 2024 10:26 AM in response to Strontium90

Hi Strontium90, Thanks this is helpful and sorry for the delay in my response. I do have a follow up question.

You stated "For example, if you have a machine that was purchased prior to ABM and it is NOT enrolled in device management, then the reseller backloads the assets and you assign it to an MDM and a pre-stage, then the Sonoma device (T2 or better) will eventually query Apple's activation server and prompt the user to enroll via automated device enrollment. They are offered one "not now" and then the device is locked until enrolled." This could only happen if I assign that device to an MDM correct? I ask as I don't want to interrupt our business with adding the Reseller ID then automatically those devices reset.

The MDM solution we want to implement is Intunes. My org uses CDW and they stated they can pull back 4 years of laptops. My plan is to have all the older equipment being used by staff to install my company portal app to show up in inTunes and for all future purchases I enroll them directly to Intune or if those devices have been reset to enroll to Intune through ABM.

Apple Reseller Importing Into Apple Business Manager

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.