Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Trouble Copying Music From PC to IPhone?

Thanks to Heather of Apple Support for not giving up and helping me find the solution.

ITunes is being phased out as the music app, and it will primarily be used for podcasts. Apple Music is the new music app. When you download Apple Music from the Microsoft store your iTunes music will be moved there and iTunes will no longer work the way it previously did. In order to sync your pc to your iphone you also have to download the Apple Devices app. This app will copy the music on Apple Music to your iphone.

When you open Apple Devices click on General and backup all the data on your iPhone as a safety precaution. Do not check off anything else on the General page. Then select Music under General and select "Sync music onto (name of iphone)" and then select Sync on the bottom right of the window. This will remove the music on your iphone and sync the music on Apple Music with your iphone. This takes a little while but all of your music will return to your iphone and will also appear in Apple Devices under On My Device - Music. Do not uncheck "Sync music onto (name of iphone) to avoid having to remove and resync your music when you check it again and select Sync on the bottom right. This Sync music check will remain checked when you close Apple Devices and reopen it at a later time.

To add new music to your iphone follow the following instructions:

Connect your iphone to your pc using a usb cord. Rip music from the cd in your pc to your My Music folder using your favorite media app. It's fine if this app stores this music in a subfolder within My Music. Open Apple Music and select Songs within Library on the left. You should see all of your music. I select Artist to see the music in alphabetical order by artist so that I can quickly see when music is added. Now select a song or a group a songs in the pc My Music folder and drag them into the Apple Music window. These new songs should now be added to your Apple Music.

Open Apple Devices and select General. Select "Back up your most important data on your IPhone to iCloud". This will avoid having to wait to back up all of your data, which is just underneath this selection. No need to select Encrypt local backup since its just music. Do not select any of the Options below. Do not select Sync yet.

Now go to Music below General and select "Selected artists, albums, genres, and playlists". Select Artist below and look for the artist whose song(s) you just dragged to Apple Music. Whether you have dragged and dropped songs from this artist in the past or this is the first time you move this artist's music to Apple Music, the artist will appear in this list. Check the box next to the artist and select Apply. Apple Devices will look for this artist's music in your Apple Music. Now select Sync at the bottom right of the window.

Open the music app on your iphone. Go to the library and select Artists. Scroll down to the name of the artist that you selected in Apple Devices. Select the artist. The song(s) by this artist that you dragged to Apple Music will now appear on your iphone.

Windows, Windows 10

Posted on Apr 22, 2024 6:01 PM

Similar questions

There are no replies.

Trouble Copying Music From PC to IPhone?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.