Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

I phone mini and apple care

Is it worth having apple care for a device that Apple discontinued? I have the iPhone mini and I’m super bummed they stopped making it. I love the mini so much and don’t know how I will manage to go back to a big phone. Super bummed to hear they will no longer make the mini. I don’t think having Apple care makes any sense. Any advice?

iPhone 13 mini, iOS 17

Posted on Apr 22, 2024 9:09 PM

1 reply

Apr 23, 2024 12:54 AM in response to Berkeleyk12

Apple Streamlines its Product Line with Innovation

Apple is renowned for its constant innovation, introducing cutting-edge devices every year. To make way for these advancements, they strategically discontinue the sale of some older models. This allows them to focus resources on developing the latest technologies and features. However, it's important to note that discontinuing sales doesn't necessarily mean they stop manufacturing entirely.

Where do Discontinued Devices Go?

While Apple stops selling discontinued devices directly in their stores and online, you might still find them available at:

• Authorized Apple Resellers: These independent stores authorized by Apple may still have stock of older models, offering you a wider selection.
  • Wireless Service Providers: Carriers like Verizon or AT&T often bundle phone purchases with service plans. They may continue to offer discontinued iPhones at discounted prices with a new contract.

Continued Production for Compatible Devices

Here's a key point to consider: Apple may continue to manufacture discontinued devices, but only if they are still compatible with the latest iOS being supported and released. This ensures older devices can receive important security updates and bug fixes, even if they don't get the newest features.

I phone mini and apple care

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.