Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

External hard drives and Studio Display

Hey Gang,

As you know, there is no power switch on the Apple Studio Display and the USB C ports on the back are always powered. I was planning to keep a couple of external hard drives (both SSD and spinner) connected to the display all the time, even when my MBP wasn't connected, so they would be ready when I connected my laptop and, of course, they would be receiving power all the time. Any thoughts on that? I wonder about premature failure if the external drives are powered on all the time, even if they aren't being actively accessed by the computer.

Many thanks.

Studio Display

Posted on Apr 23, 2024 7:05 AM

Similar questions

7 replies

Apr 23, 2024 12:35 PM in response to hcsitas

Many thanks, but the USB C port is still hot and the external drives are receiving power as evidenced by the power light on the drive being illuminated. And that was the original question; will keeping an external drive powered continuously cause premature failure even if it's not being accessed by a computer? I have noticed, however, that even though the power light is illuminated, the platters in the spinners don't seem to be spinning. I can't feel any vibration.

External hard drives and Studio Display

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.