Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

When I manually add names to photos the system acceps them but later erases them so many y photyos cannot be put int proper people files

iMac latest Ventura 13 6.6 Ongoing problem with all updates

iPhone 7, iOS 15

Posted on Apr 23, 2024 8:16 AM

1 reply

Apr 23, 2024 1:12 PM in response to BobCord

When do the manually assigned names vanish? Out of the blue or after a system upgrade?

When we manually mark faces that Photos did not recognize as a face, the manually assigned faces may vanish, whenever a system update adds improvements to the face detection and face recognition. Then Photos will scan again for faces and when the manually assigned faces are in conflict with the results of the new faces scan, the manually assigned faces may be discarded.

I am taking the precaution of adding the names of the people also as a keyword to the photos. The keywords will usually survive an update or even the migration to a different app. and on my Mac I can check for missing named faces of a person with a smart album, for example searching for "keyword is Mickey" and "Person is not Mickey".

When I manually add names to photos the system acceps them but later erases them so many y photyos cannot be put int proper people files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.