Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Invalid Serial on Homepod

When the Homepod was discontinued in 2021, I sought to purchase an additional one to create a stereo pair. I managed to find a brand new unit on eBay, albeit at twice the original cost.

After years of use, my Homepod began producing an intermittent popping sound. While all functionalities remain intact, the repetitive noise became quite bothersome. Extensive troubleshooting and research led to the discovery that a straightforward fix is required—a replacement of the capacitor. This solution is well-documented within the Apple Community.

I entrusted my Homepod to an Authorized Service third party and left it in their care. However, they later informed me to retrieve it, as Apple declined to address the issue due to an invalid serial number that had already undergone replacement.

Upon further investigation, it appears that the Homepod was originally purchased in Apple China. Subsequently, due to defects, it was returned to Apple and replaced with a brand new unit. This new unit, still sealed, was then sold to me as new.

I reached out to Apple support via chat and was subsequently directed to visit the Genius Bar. Unfortunately, this option posed challenges for me due to distance and the rigid reservation model, which I found difficult to accommodate. Despite expressing my concerns, I was met with insistence and received a dismissive response, essentially stating that certain actions are unavoidable. Reluctantly, I rearranged my schedule and spent an entire afternoon navigating this process.

At the Apple Store, I received the same response: they were unable to proceed with repairs due to the invalid serial number. This information could have been conveyed to me during the initial chat session, saving me valuable time and effort.

No resolutions, no insights—just a resolute "No." While the serial number did prompt some explanations on their end, they were in Chinese, and despite my request, they refused to provide translation or further investigation.

One intriguing aspect is that my purchase date is linked to the serial number, bolstering the legitimacy of my acquisition—a detail seemingly overlooked by everyone I've spoken to.

When I contacted Apple Support again, I encountered a particularly rude advisor who raised their voice at me. They attempted to hold me accountable for not purchasing through the Apple Store, as if it were a wrongdoing on my part. It's important to note that it was Apple's decision to discontinue the product, which led me to seek it elsewhere—a reality they seemed reluctant to acknowledge.

After receiving an email requesting feedback from the Apple Store, I provided an honest review. Subsequently, a Senior Advisor from the store reached out to me, displaying a kind and understanding demeanor. While he didn't possess immediate solutions, he assured me that the Apple Care team has the capability to resolve my issue. He emphasized that, as the legitimate owner of the product, they can activate the serial number for me, regardless of its origin country. Encouragingly, he advised me to reach out again for further assistance.

I made another call and encountered the same resistance. The response remained consistent: they couldn't offer assistance, suggesting I get it fixed by a third-party authorized service—a step I had already taken. They reiterated the option to purchase exclusively from them, or suggested revisiting the country of purchase.

It's frustrating, akin to dealing with gatekeepers who are unwilling to connect me with someone who has the authority to assist.

I've located someone who can perform the necessary repair, so that aspect is resolved. However, the real issue lies in accessing the individual who supposedly has the capability to activate the serial number for me.

Any thoughts or ideas?

HomePod

Posted on Apr 23, 2024 2:39 PM

Similar questions

1 reply

Apr 23, 2024 9:22 PM in response to Pablo A Salido

None of us here would know who you spoke with regarding the serial number. I’ve not heard anything about this being done before. Due to it being discontinued Apple Advisors and Genius Bar staff likely aren’t going to offer you a suitable solution that would make you feel better. The warranty expired a long time ago. I’m sorry this happened to you.

I know of a solution to fix the popping sounds:

unplug it for over 24 hrs

Plug back in again

1. Unplug HomePod or unplug the power adapter for HomePod mini, wait 10 seconds, then plug HomePod back in.
  2. Wait 10 seconds, then touch and hold your finger to the top of HomePod.
  3. The white spinning light will turn red. Keep your finger down. 
  4. Siri will say that your HomePod is about to reset. When you hear three beeps, you can lift your finger.

After you reset HomePod, you can set up HomePod again.

This isn’t guaranteed to fix that but does work for most users. You can still try this solution for any other issues as well.

There’s a guy who fixes/buys the OG HomePods over at: https://nicsfix.com/

Invalid Serial on Homepod

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.