Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Apple tv 4k remote fails to control volume on my LG TV

I have LG TV (which has a LG magic remote) and I can't connect my Apple TV remote to control tv settings, such as volume. I have the HDMI 2.1 in the #1 slot and made sure LG HDMI-CEC is on. It has worked for a some time but now it seems to have lost the settings (again). Here is what I have tried so far:

• I have gone to the Apple TV settings, chose Remotes and Devices, chose Volume Control, and selected Learn New Device. When I do this, my LG Magic Remote volume button does not register to the Apple TV that I am increasing the volume, even though the volume is increasing on the tv.

Any suggestions on connecting my Apple TV to this LG TV so I am able to control Power, Source, and most importantly Volume would be greatly appreciated.

This question has been asked before by someone else on this forum in 2021 but no solution was given, so hopefully someone can help me now?

Apple TV 4K (2nd generation)

Posted on Apr 23, 2024 10:53 PM

2 replies

Apr 24, 2024 2:33 AM in response to Rudegar

Thanks, it partly works now by letting the apple tv do the communication with the TV automatically. It then communicates via HDMI. But before I controlled the volume via IR of the appleTV remote control, How can I get that back? Normally that happens via the remote control of the TV in combination with the appleTV learning a new device, but that does not work due to the fact that the LGtv remote control is a magic remote not using IR (I suppose).

I know it works because it worked for at least two years like that, but how to get it back?

Apple tv 4k remote fails to control volume on my LG TV

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.