Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Replace SSD on Macbook Pro late 2013

We have an old Macbook Pro Retina 15 inch late 2013. The original 250 Gb SSD is "failing". We want to keep this laptop going for another couple of years, so I need to install an inexpensive replacement SSD.

I have read numerous articles on replacement drives, and I have found it very confusing (to say the least!). Can anyone give me an authoritative answer please, on what drives are compatible. I'm thinking of Samsung or Crucial. I have seen videos on how to do it and one of us is familiar with upgrading Macs and PCs.

Thanks so much.

Earlier Mac models

Posted on Apr 23, 2024 10:47 PM

8 replies

Apr 23, 2024 10:57 PM in response to unkleE

unkleE Said:

"Replace SSD on Macbook Pro late 2013: We have an old Macbook Pro Retina 15 inch late 2013. The original 250 Gb SSD is 'failing'. We want to keep this laptop going for another couple of years, so I need to install an inexpensive replacement SSD."

-------

Getting a New Hard Drive:

A. Use a Compatible Hard Drive:

Back up your Mac, if you can log in, that way you can have something to restore your data from.

Contact Us:

B. Get the Drive Serviced:

See if a local retailer offers data recovery - and when you purchase a new External Hard Drive - consider getting a Protection Plan of sorts that covers a dead hard drive, and data recovery

C. Getting the Drive Replaced:

There are two options that I recommend getting the drive replaced by...

Apple Contact Info:

B. Contact an AASP: 

1. Go Here: Find Locations - Apple Authorized Reseller
  2. Click: Service & Support
  3. Enter: your location information
  4. See: if there is an AASP nearby
  5. Contact: an AASP that shows up, and find out more about the services that they offer to fix the battery

Apr 24, 2024 4:56 AM in response to unkleE

unkleE wrote:

So, do you have any advice on the correct cheap replacement SSD please?

first, I wouldn't recommend "cheaping out" when it comes to an SSD for a MacBook Pro.

that said, I would recommend shopping at OWC’s website to find the SSD. and they also have self install videos on their site. you could use those videos to see if the operation is something you could do for yourself, or if you would need to farm it out to a professional.

Apr 24, 2024 12:02 AM in response to TheLittles

Thanks for your quick reply. But I don't think we'll be purchasing an Apple product or getting the laptop serviced - it just isn't worth that much. This purchase is really to tide us over another year or so until we can get and use a new Mac, so I don't want to spend too much on it.

If this forum is only for official Mac products, then I'm sorry, but I was hoping to get advice on cheaper options.

Thanks again for your help.

Apr 24, 2024 12:36 AM in response to TheLittles

It's not that easy. I didn't want to go into this detail, but the person who uses this Mac suffers from severe chemical sensitivities. New Macs have a strong toxic smell, and have to be quarantined for 6-12 months to off-gas before they can be used. (That's why we've tried to make this one last as long as possible.) So even if we purchase a new Mac tomorrow, we'll still need this one for at least a year.

So, do you have any advice on the correct cheap replacement SSD please?

Apr 25, 2024 10:45 PM in response to unkleE

How do you know the SSD is failing?

Also, what is the highest version of macOS you have ever installed on this laptop? This is important if you need to run Monterey. I'm assuming you are at least running macOS 10.13+ on this laptop.

Definitely agree with @jeffreythefrog on OWC's SSDs since they are a drop in replacement. Trying to use a standard M.2 NVMe SSD is much more difficult and requires the use of the Sintech SSD adapter (it is the only adapter which is known to be compatible & reliable). Keep in mind not all SSDs are compatible with all computers and the SSD manufacturer's will not support you with troubleshooting when installing an M.2 SSD internally in a Mac.

FYI, cheap SSDs will almost always be cheap in both price & quality. Many SSDs out there today are not what they seem, so be careful (even ones from respected name brands).

Replace SSD on Macbook Pro late 2013

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.