Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Electrical crackling sounds on my iPad

I recently (around 3 weeks ago) bought an 11" M2 iPad pro. I noticed some sounds coming from the iPad and it got louder on the back of the iPad. It sounded like electricity crackling and I was a little worried. Any idea why this is happening or whether it will stop eventually or if I can stop it on my own?

iPad Pro, iPadOS 17

Posted on Apr 24, 2024 3:34 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 24, 2024 8:43 AM

Other than when the iPad's speakers are active, your iPad should not make any sound whatsoever.

Given the recent purchase of your iPad, you would be best advised to return it to the retailer to explore your options to exchange it under warranty. If purchased directly from Apple, you 14-days within which to unconditionally return the item for exchange or refund.

While by your description you have exceeded the 14-day window of opportunity, it is understood that there can be some latitude. As such, if applicable, you should waste no time in bringing the issue to the attention of the Genius Bar at your local Apple Store:

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

If purchased from any other retailer, you will need to explore their own returns policy - although you will have benefit of consumer law that operates in your country/region.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 24, 2024 8:43 AM in response to Dimath07

Other than when the iPad's speakers are active, your iPad should not make any sound whatsoever.

Given the recent purchase of your iPad, you would be best advised to return it to the retailer to explore your options to exchange it under warranty. If purchased directly from Apple, you 14-days within which to unconditionally return the item for exchange or refund.

While by your description you have exceeded the 14-day window of opportunity, it is understood that there can be some latitude. As such, if applicable, you should waste no time in bringing the issue to the attention of the Genius Bar at your local Apple Store:

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

If purchased from any other retailer, you will need to explore their own returns policy - although you will have benefit of consumer law that operates in your country/region.

Apr 24, 2024 5:18 AM in response to Dimath07

Firstly, it's possible that the sound is originating from the internal components of the iPad, such as the speakers or other hardware elements. Sometimes, electrical components can produce faint crackling or popping sounds as they operate, especially during periods of increased activity or when the device is under load. In some cases, these sounds may diminish over time as the components settle in, but if the noise persists or gets louder, it could indicate a more serious issue with the hardware.

Another possibility is that the crackling sounds are caused by external factors, such as interference from nearby electronic devices or environmental conditions. For example, electromagnetic interference (EMI) from other devices or electrical wiring in your surroundings could potentially interfere with the operation of your iPad and manifest as crackling sounds. Similarly, changes in temperature or humidity levels may also affect the behavior of electronic devices and contribute to unusual noises.

To address the issue, you may want to try the following steps:

1. Sometimes, a simple restart can help resolve temporary glitches or issues with electronic devices. Try restarting your iPad to see if the crackling sounds persist afterward.

2. Make sure your iPad is running the latest version of iPadOS. Software updates often include bug fixes and improvements that can address issues with device performance and stability.

3. Try to determine whether the crackling sounds are coming from specific areas of the iPad, such as the speakers, or if they seem to be originating from elsewhere. This information may help you narrow down the possible causes of the issue.

4. If the crackling sounds persist or if you're concerned about potential hardware issues, consider reaching out to Official Apple Support for further assistance. They can provide guidance on troubleshooting steps and may offer options for repair or replacement if necessary.

Electrical crackling sounds on my iPad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.