Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Help with iMovie after upgrading to Catalina from Sierra OS on my IMac desktop

I have an IMac desktop 21.5 inch late 2015 10.15.7 I upgraded from a Sierra OS to the Catalina OS recently.

iMovie will not work. When I go to the App Store and try to unhide my purchases it says that I don't have any purchases so I can't use the iMovie anymore. I have not been able to find a suggestion in Apple Community that has been able to help me. My account email and password haven't changes, that I can remember.

Is there anyone that can help me. I think that I need to download an older version of iMovie but I am not sure what to do. Sincerely, Pam

Posted on Apr 24, 2024 8:56 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 24, 2024 11:32 AM

Did you click your name icon?

View your purchase history for the App Store and other Apple media services - Apple Support

8 replies

Apr 24, 2024 11:31 AM in response to Bijoux2

That's odd. Apple usually allows existing app users to update to the newest supported version even if the latest version doesn't run on your OS. Just tested this with a Ventura 13.0 install and was able to upgrade from iMovie 10.3.4 to 10.3.8 (The current version, 10.4, requires Ventura 13.5+). The again, Apple's web page currently claims 11.5.1+ compatibility. I had thought that was outdated information, but maybe Apple has a cutoff for updating old version?

For reference: you may need to drag iMovie to the trash (Don't empty!) before you can be prompted to redownload the app (and be offered the newest supported version). If this doesn't work drag iMovie back out of the trash to the applications folder it came from.

First issue, did you say -nothing- was showing up under purchases? iMovie or otherwise? Have you ever downloaded software/updates through the AppStore other than the Catalina upgrade that you would expect to see? You may need to contact Apple Support. If you can't download or update apps on your Mac - Apple Support

Second issue, you say iMovie does not run on Catalina? Which version of iMovie? I can understand an old version having bugs/compatibility issues but I would expect anything current on Sierra would at least try to run on Catalina. (On the other hand if your iMovie originally came from an old iLife DVD package then yah... that won't run).

Apr 25, 2024 6:31 AM in response to padams35

Hi, I tried moving my iMovie to the trash and re-downloading several times but that did not work for me as there are no Apps in my purchase folder other than a game I purchased. Yes, I have downloaded updates for Sierra but those no longer showed up once I installed the Catalina OS. It is okay, I understand now that my OS is no longer supported. I did not mean to say that iMovie does not run on Catalina. My iMovie came with my original IMac Desktop purchase so it was whatever version that ran on Sierra. When I tried to click on iMovie after downloading and installing Catalina OS iMovie showed up as unsupported with a big slash through it on the icon to click to open. (: Thank you all, for your help. Sincerely, Pam

Apr 25, 2024 1:57 PM in response to Bijoux2

Just for reference: can you right-click on iMovie in the Applications Folder, click "Get Info", and check the listed version number? Just For Science to let the rest of us know what doesn't work.

Regardless I would not recommend staying on Catalina. If you need iMovie I would suggest rolling back to Sierra (assuming you have a packup) and instead upgrading only as far as Mojave and seeing if your iMovie will work there. Alternatively you could upgrade again to go further forward to Monterey (the newest OS that supports Late 2015 hardware) and then try to find a 3rd party iMovie alternative.

Note: the newer versions of MacOS really want to run on an SSD, so if you have an HDD or Fusion drive and wish to go forward to Monterey you might need to consider purchasing an external USB SSD and reinstalling MacOS onto that.

Help with iMovie after upgrading to Catalina from Sierra OS on my IMac desktop

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.