Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

2020 Intel Macbook Pro 13 overheating, when no software is running.

By seeing another post here, I performed an "etre Check." Following is the report.

I did visit apple store twice and told them to sort this issue out, they just reinstalled the OS, nothing works.

Please do look over the report if possible, Cheers!

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 14.1

Posted on Apr 24, 2024 1:04 PM

9 replies

Apr 25, 2024 9:04 AM in response to sudo-prakhar

Just because you quit all user-launched apps does not mean other automated processes stop running during sleep. For nothing to be running the computer must be tirned off.

This one may hold a clue:

Top Processes Snapshot by CPU:

Process (count) CPU (Source - Location)

mdworker_shared (13) 118.66 % (Apple) ⚠️

WindowServer 28.38 % (Apple)

EtreCheckPro 27.38 % (Etresoft, Inc.)

mds_stores 18.74 % (Apple)

Google Chrome 11.20 % (Google LLC)

mdworker_shared is a component of Spotlight indexing that will work in the background. That could account for slow SSD performance. It should not be using such a high level of resources.

This can happen because of Spotlight's many default locations it will index. Using System Preferences/Settings > Spotlight, you can tame and limit what processes Spotlight will track. The "Privacy" tab blocks Spotlight from indexing entire drives:

As all external drives are far slower than your internal, indexing those takes more time and resources, especially if they are, like mine, only backups and not external data.

The other Spotlight tab, Search Results, lets you limit what file types Spotlight indexes on your boot volume—your internal drive in your case.

Most apps and functions have a perfectly workable search function without Spotlight, so turn off what seems useless to you. Turning off Mail and Messaging alone can save a lot of overhead. What I leave checked are basic file types I use in writing and researching.

Apr 24, 2024 3:13 PM in response to sudo-prakhar

you have some old, partially-installed stuff that might be causing you problems, chase these down and delete them:

Clean up:

/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.expressvpn.expressvpnd.plist

/Applications/ExpressVPN.app/Contents/MacOS/expressvpnd

Executable not found

~/Library/LaunchAgents/com.epicgames.launcher.plist

/Applications/Epic Games Launcher.app

Executable not found

unsigned files are not appropriate to exist on your otherwise well-protected Mac:

valid Apps come from Registered Developers, and are signed with the Developer Certificate:

[Not Loaded] com.expressvpn.expressvpnd.plist (Not signed - installed 2023-06-08)

Executable: /Applications/ExpressVPN.app/Contents/MacOS/expressvpnd

Apr 24, 2024 3:18 PM in response to sudo-prakhar

donotdisturb daemon crashed at least seven times in 60 days:

Diagnostics Information (past 60 days):

2024-04-25 01:09:33 donotdisturbd - Crash (7 times)

First occurrence: 2024-04-22 01:09:05

Executable: /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/DoNotDisturbServer.framework/Support/donotdisturbd

are you doing a lot of fiddling with focus or notifications, or similar stuff?

Apr 25, 2024 7:01 AM in response to sudo-prakhar

you don't have a lot of RAM memory, and this reports shows virtual memory spilling onto the disk drive Swap space.

Virtual Memory Information:

Physical RAM: 8 GB

Free RAM: 44 MB

Used RAM: 6.19 GB

Cached files: 1.77 GB

Available RAM: 1.81 GB

Swap Used: 445 MB

ordinarily, this would not be a big deal. but it looks like there is something wrong with your DRIVE. the Write speed is less than half the read speed. that is far lower than typical for these Macs:

Performance:

System Load: 10.31 (1 min ago) 8.28 (5 min ago) 9.00 (15 min ago)

Nominal I/O usage: 3.70 MB/s

File system: 33.99 seconds

Write speed: 793 MB/s

Read speed: 1835 MB/s

>> I recommend you use DriveDX to check the detailed SMART status, including numbers of un-repaired Bad Blocks.

2020 Intel Macbook Pro 13 overheating, when no software is running.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.