Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Silence phone but ringer for calls

Hi, it’s pretty common for the majority of people to keep the phone on silent at all times, at least for the younger generations. We type so much and take so many pictures that it’s better off on silent. But last night my friend tried to call me in the middle of the night and I didn’t wake up to accept it as my phone is always on silent. Is there a possible way I can toggle something so when I get a phone call it rings through. I wouldn’t mind hearing every call on the off chance I get woke up in the night to an important call

iPhone 12, iOS 17

Posted on Apr 24, 2024 4:14 PM

2 replies

Apr 24, 2024 6:18 PM in response to ChipRylo

Enable Do Not Disturb rather than using the Mute switch. It has a lot of options for blocking or allowing sounds. Here is a general example:

• Tap Settings
  • Tap Focus
  • Tap on any Focus settings that you will never use and remove them (you can add them back later if you change your mind, and even create new, custom ones)
  • Tap Do Not Disturb
  • Tap People
  • Tap Allow Notifications From
  • If anyone is listed who should not call you when DND is on delete them; if you don’t want any calls from anyone, any time, delete all people
  • Tap the dropdown next to Allow Calls From and choose Allowed People Only
  • Optionally, tap on Apps, then Allow Notifications From and don’t add any apps.

All of the above is a one-time setup. After that, turn DND on or off with a quick tap on the Control Center DND button. You can optionally set one or more schedules by going to:

Settings/Focus/Do Not Disturb/Set a Schedule.

Apr 24, 2024 6:34 PM in response to ChipRylo

ChipRylo wrote:

Hi, it’s pretty common for the majority of people to keep the phone on silent at all times, at least for the younger generations.

No, it's not, actually.

We type so much and take so many pictures that it’s better off on silent. But last night my friend tried to call me in the middle of the night and I didn’t wake up to accept it as my phone is always on silent.

Is there a possible way I can toggle something so when I get a phone call it rings through. I wouldn’t mind hearing every call on the off chance I get woke up in the night to an important call

Instead of putting your phone on silent, adjust your notification settings so the apps you don't want bothering you don't play sounds for notifications.

Silence phone but ringer for calls

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.