Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Syncing gmail across devices

A while back someone raised the following problem: "..., my Gmail account that I access using Mac Mail quit syncing with my iPhone. If I delete a message on my phone, it will not delete on my Macbook Pro. I have no problems receiving mail on either device. If I delete a gmail from Mac Mail on my Macbook, it does delete on my phone. Seems to only have issues one direction, when I delete on my phone. It's just not detecting that on my MacBook. Thank you for your help." I am experiencing the exact same problem and could not find the advice given for this question. (I'm a bit of a technophobe retiree so need fairly detailed and basic instructions. 😂) Many thanks!

iPhone 5c, iOS 10

Posted on Apr 25, 2024 12:57 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 25, 2024 1:00 PM

It sounds like you're encountering a syncing issue between your Gmail account accessed via Mac Mail and your iPhone. Here's a step-by-step guide to help resolve this problem:

1. **Check Account Settings:**

- On your iPhone, go to Settings > Mail > Accounts.

- Select your Gmail account and ensure that the option for Mail syncing is enabled.

2. **Restart Devices:**

- Restart both your iPhone and MacBook Pro. Sometimes, a simple restart can resolve syncing issues.

3. **Update Software:**

- Make sure that both your iPhone and MacBook Pro are running the latest software updates. Updates often include bug fixes that can improve syncing.

4. **Re-add Gmail Account on iPhone:**

- On your iPhone, go to Settings > Mail > Accounts > Add Account.

- Choose Google and follow the on-screen instructions to re-add your Gmail account.

5. **Check Mail Settings on MacBook Pro:**

- Open Mac Mail on your MacBook Pro.

- Go to Mail > Preferences > Accounts.

- Select your Gmail account and ensure that the settings for syncing are correct.

6. **Reset Mail App on iPhone:**

- If the issue persists, you can try resetting the Mail app on your iPhone. Go to Settings > General > Reset > Reset All Settings. Note that this will reset all settings on your iPhone, not just Mail settings, so proceed with caution.

7. **Contact Apple Support:**

- If none of the above steps work, consider reaching out to Apple Support for further assistance. They can provide personalized help based on your specific devices and settings.

Hopefully, these steps help resolve the syncing issue between your Gmail account and devices. If you need further assistance or clarification on any step, feel free to ask!

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 25, 2024 1:00 PM in response to wardie42

It sounds like you're encountering a syncing issue between your Gmail account accessed via Mac Mail and your iPhone. Here's a step-by-step guide to help resolve this problem:

1. **Check Account Settings:**

- On your iPhone, go to Settings > Mail > Accounts.

- Select your Gmail account and ensure that the option for Mail syncing is enabled.

2. **Restart Devices:**

- Restart both your iPhone and MacBook Pro. Sometimes, a simple restart can resolve syncing issues.

3. **Update Software:**

- Make sure that both your iPhone and MacBook Pro are running the latest software updates. Updates often include bug fixes that can improve syncing.

4. **Re-add Gmail Account on iPhone:**

- On your iPhone, go to Settings > Mail > Accounts > Add Account.

- Choose Google and follow the on-screen instructions to re-add your Gmail account.

5. **Check Mail Settings on MacBook Pro:**

- Open Mac Mail on your MacBook Pro.

- Go to Mail > Preferences > Accounts.

- Select your Gmail account and ensure that the settings for syncing are correct.

6. **Reset Mail App on iPhone:**

- If the issue persists, you can try resetting the Mail app on your iPhone. Go to Settings > General > Reset > Reset All Settings. Note that this will reset all settings on your iPhone, not just Mail settings, so proceed with caution.

7. **Contact Apple Support:**

- If none of the above steps work, consider reaching out to Apple Support for further assistance. They can provide personalized help based on your specific devices and settings.

Hopefully, these steps help resolve the syncing issue between your Gmail account and devices. If you need further assistance or clarification on any step, feel free to ask!

Syncing gmail across devices

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.