Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Macbook Pro was heating up after auto-locking since updated to macOS Sonoma 14.3.1

My Macbook Pro spec:

Macbook Pro 2020 with 16GB RAM, 4 Thunderbolt ports with i5 4-core CPU and T2 Chip.

After updated to macOS Sonoma 14.3.1, it appears that the computer, despite locking it manually or automatically, will heat up in any events, and sometimes, the computer is difficult to turn on , i.e. I cannot turn it on after pressing the power button, I have to press the button and hold it for 10 secs for force its operation.

I tried to reset the SMC (I am not sure did I successfully reset it, as there was no progress bar on the screen) as well as the NVRAM, yet the issues remains.

Can anyone give me any suggestions on what can I do anymore? Probably reseting the whole computer? But will my data and documents remains?

Consulting the genius bar, hopefully, is the last resort.

Thank you so much for all of your kind assistance

MacBook Pro (2017 – 2020)

Posted on Apr 26, 2024 12:54 AM

5 replies

Apr 27, 2024 11:50 AM in response to newuser0426

newuser0426 wrote:

My Macbook Pro spec:
Macbook Pro 2020 with 16GB RAM, 4 Thunderbolt ports with i5 4-core CPU and T2 Chip.

After updated to macOS Sonoma 14.3.1, it appears that the computer, despite locking it manually or automatically, will heat up in any events, and sometimes, the computer is difficult to turn on , i.e. I cannot turn it on after pressing the power button, I have to press the button and hold it for 10 secs for force its operation.

I tried to reset the SMC (I am not sure did I successfully reset it, as there was no progress bar on the screen) as well as the NVRAM, yet the issues remains.

Can anyone give me any suggestions on what can I do anymore? Probably reseting the whole computer? But will my data and documents remains?
Consulting the genius bar, hopefully, is the last resort.

Thank you so much for all of your kind assistance

The current stable release of Sonoma including bug fixes, security updates is macOS 14.4.1 - I would start there

Keep your Mac up to date - Apple Support

Keep your Mac up to date - Apple Support

Apr 27, 2024 6:48 PM in response to newuser0426

newuser0426 wrote:

That is because the laptop is most likely still powered on even though the screen may be dark. Holding the power button for 10 seconds is probably powering the laptop off. It is really hard to know what these newer Macs are doing since there are no longer any external signs such as power LEDs. You can try pressing the Caps Lock Key to see if the Caps Lock LED lights up which would indicate the laptop is still powered on & likely booted. If the Caps Lock LED is not lit, it does not necessarily mean the laptop is powered down since the Caps Lock LED will only activate once the laptop is running past a certain boot point and a frozen macOS may not allow the Caps Lock key to activate either. Apple does not make this easy.

The SMC Reset procedure has changed for the 2018-2020 Intel models with the T2 security chip. Please make sure to carefully read the Apple instructions for the T2 Macs in this Apple article:

Reset the SMC of your Mac - Apple Support

Also, I personally like to Option Boot the laptop & let the laptop sit at the Apple boot picker menu so when I perform the SMC Reset I will see the laptop power off (you may be able to also press the Caps Lock key as well to light its LED).

Make sure you have a good backup now while you still can. In fact, you should always have frequent and regular backups of your computer and all external media (including the cloud) which contains important & unique data. With the newer Macs there are so many new ways to permanently lose access to the data on the internal SSD due to all the new hardware, software, and security changes. Apple includes Time Machine backup software with macOS to make it easy for users to back up their computers.

If updating (aka patching) macOS like @leroydouglas suggests does not help, then make sure all of your third party software is also completely up to date as well. Try disconnecting all external devices in case one of them is causing a problem. If you still have problems, then run the third party app EtreCheck and post the complete report here so we can examine it for clues.

You can also try running the Apple Diagnostics to see if any hardware issues are detected. Unfortunately the diagnostics rarely report any hardware issues, but it never hurts to check.

Apr 29, 2024 6:23 PM in response to newuser0426

First off, you should uninstall the SurfShark anti-virus software. Anti-virus software, cleaning/optimizer apps, and third party security software are not needed on a Mac and usually causes more problems than they solve because they interfere with the normal operation of macOS since they interact at very low levels of the OS where the tiniest hiccup can bring the OS to its knees.

Effective defenses against malware and other threats - Apple Community

You should also uninstall both of those VPN apps since they also cause more problems than they solve....again because they are entwined into the bowels of macOS. VPN software does not provide the protection or security you believe it does. The only useful VPN is when you are connecting to an employer's network or to bypass regional restrictions.

https://gist.github.com/joepie91/5a9909939e6ce7d09e29

More than likely the OneDrive issues are caused by these apps, but it is hard to say for sure.

Even more worrisome are all the "ProxiedDevice-Bridge" panics (about 132 of them). These panics are related to the T2 security chip and may indicate a hardware issue with the Logic Board which unfortunately is fairly common for the 2019-2020 Intel Macs. However, there is a slim possibility the software I mentioned earlier could possibly be causing the problem. It is hard to say for sure, but I know many people with these "ProxiedDevice-Bridge" panics had to have their Logic Board replaced.

You can try a DFU firmware Revive along with uninstalling those previously listed apps to see if it makes any difference. Make sure to uninstall those apps by following the developers' instructions. After rebooting the laptop after uninstalling those apps, run another EtreCheck report to confirm all traces of those AV & VPN software are completely gone.....many times remnants will remain behind (another reason never to use those types of apps). After completely uninstalling those apps, try the DFU firmware Revive which will reset the T2 security chip & system firmware.

Make sure to have a good backup before doing anything else. While the firmware Revive should not cause data loss, you never if you will still be able to access the data on the internal SSD if a hardware issue prevent the successful completion of the "Revive" process.

Unfortunately unless the Apple Diagnostic or an Apple service diagnostic fails, it will be hard to get Apple to repair this laptop since Apple does not train their techs to look at any logs. The best you can do is to perform a clean install of macOS and see whether the laptop freezes or crashes. It is important to erase the whole physical drive followed by reinstalling macOS. However, you do not to restore from a backup, you do not want to install any third party software, and you do not want to use your AppleID or iCloud while testing. If the laptop freezes or crashes under these conditions, then it indicates a hardware issue and one which Apple will take notice since it is only macOS & the Apple hardware.

Personally I would not spend any money on repairs to these 2016-2020 Intel Macs for multiple reasons....the 2018-2020 Intel Macs seem to have a much higher rate of Logic Board failures than any other previous models. The money spent on repairs would be better spent towards a new laptop in my opinion. I usually champion trying to keep older systems alive, but I don't for these models.

Apr 30, 2024 8:16 AM in response to newuser0426

Overheating MacBook Pro after updating to macOS 14.3.1 has become a common issue.

Hold off on a full reset for now!

Let's try some easier fixes first. Check your Activity Monitor (Applications > Utilities) for any apps using too much power and quit them. Then, try booting into Safe Mode (hold Shift during startup). If your Mac runs cooler in Safe Mode, it suggests a software issue.

We can also try resetting the SMC and NVRAM again, but make sure you follow the exact steps online specific to your 2020 MacBook Pro model. Incorrect steps might not solve the problem.

If these don't work, then a factory reset might be necessary. But remember, this erases all your data! Back up everything using Time Machine or an external drive before proceeding (instructions here: https://support.apple.com/mac-backup). Once backed up, search online for reinstalling macOS specific to your MacBook Pro model.

This way we can fix the overheating without losing your important files. If you want to know more about overheating issues on Mac, then you can read here.

[Edited by Moderator]

Macbook Pro was heating up after auto-locking since updated to macOS Sonoma 14.3.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.