Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Apple Community Discussions - finding the best Tag(s)

When posting a question on Apple Community Discussions I am prompted to select a device and topic:

... but finding the tag is difficult. For example, for a discussion about Xcode, under topics, I click Choose a different topic. Then Apps & Services. Then Applications and Services again. Then Other Apple Applications and Services. What a palaver!

It seems logical for Apple to offer a search box so the Community can just enter Xcode (or even just 'xc'!)

Posted on Apr 26, 2024 2:57 AM

4 replies

Apr 26, 2024 11:18 AM in response to The_Knowledge_Seeker

The_Knowledge_Seeker wrote:

Perhaps Apple should remove the tags altogether then!

Well, perhaps I spoke too soon. The first tag is pretty much useless. It's just the device. Sometimes people pick the right one, sometimes they don't. There is a default set, but they are certainly out-of-date and wrong for me.

The section "tag" really isn't a tag. It's identifying the specific forum where you want to post. (Perhaps it is implemented internally as tags and then each forum is just a listing of that tag.) But regardless, it's a real can-o-worms. If you pick an obscure tag, then no one is going to see your post. If you pick a too-generic tag (iPhone), then too many people will see your post and you'll get poor, but abundant, answers.

The problem is that Apple runs a very lean ship. You are talking about a major, months-long re-architecture of the site, followed by months of testing, and then months of buggy releases. That's just not going to happen. This is a good as it gets.

Apple Community Discussions - finding the best Tag(s)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.